Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stud Dog Tail

I need some recommendations on what I think might be stud tail on one of my boys. For awhile I thought he was rubbing his fur off because he insisted in napping in a small crate. So the crate was removed over a year ago.

Lately the spot has gone SO bald that I don't think I could even show him.

I've read up on stud dog tail and just wanted to add the skin is clean and smooth. No bumps or redness or irritation. The dog does not worry the spot. Nor is the skin or fur in the supposed gland area greasy from an over-abundance of oil production.

Any thoughts or advice?

The vet had no clue by the way.

Re: Stud Dog Tail

Ring worm?

No, not ring worm. Stud Tail.

Apparently common in whippets, here's a link to a photo

http://www.thewhippet.net/images/stud-tail100.jpg

Or this one on a mastiff

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpu-dT90N7yPwAWoqUJUS5zDuxamPScmt2CeI5F5MkjWRFcLmI-Q

Did find another thread on here about it. I just don't know if the judges will look at it unfavorably. There is NO CHANCE of a comb-overy anymore.

I did want to mention that he's brown, and the fur around that area is reddish...always has been, not blowing coat.

I wonder if it is like balding in men. I think that has something to do with testosterone levels and not as is often joked a short bed.

Just a thought, could be a direction of investigation

Right on, Liv. It is canine male-pattern baldness. The hair on the tail (and sometimes across the rump) is dormant longer than it should be and has a very short growth cycle. This means the hair generally is "dead" along the tail and will change color as it would during shed. I had a chocolate years ago that we called Charlie the yellow-tailed tuna. We couldn't show him after a year of age because of the discoloration and lack of hair on the rear/tail. It got better when he was old and the testosterone stopped flowing as much

There is a gland about 3 or 4 inches from the base of the tail on both males and females. Usually found in males. Not ringworm. There is no cure for this. It is not allergies. So not do anything with it but be sure not to comb or brush over it to open it up. Sometimes it will get little pimples but is kept clean and do not use a lot of strong meds. A real judge who knows stuff will realize what it is and forgive it if all else about the dog is good. Don't worry and watch what people tell you to do about it. ellie

Thanks for the info. Probably the reason it looks sooo bad now is because he's been shedding and I gave him a good brushing...and I brushed his tail! :(