Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nasal hyperkeratosis

At what age can you tell if your pup has nasal hyperkeratosis? Wha is the youngest that anyone has seen signs?

Re: Nasal hyperkeratosis

My pup started to show signs at about 6 months. It got worse as he aged. Happy now as a pet and they take care to keep his nose moist so it peels easy and looks less ugly.
I think it appears at different ages in different dogs. It does have to be seen by a DVM to make sure it is that, and not just a dry nose in this heat.

about the youngest is 6 months, latest about 10 months.

Thanks for the reply. It is much to early to know yet, but I will have to watch for signs for the next few months. I just learned that the sire has this.

The condition is genetic. If the sire has it, chances are so does the puppy. It's a very rare condition among Labs, but it's out there. I have an affected dog myself. He was diagnosed by a veterinary dermatologist doing a biopsy. There is very little research out there, but it's believed that the condition is caused by a recessive gene. Symptoms can range from fairly mild to very serious, and it can affect the foot pads in addition to the nose. Seriously affected dogs' noses often bleed and peel, and their pads need to be shaved down.
Affected dogs shouldn't be bred.

As rare as the condition is I doubt it is a simple recessive but as you said very little research has been done. A study was started in Canada but abandoned due to lack of funding.

Kate
The condition is genetic. If the sire has it, chances are so does the puppy. It's a very rare condition among Labs, but it's out there. I have an affected dog myself. He was diagnosed by a veterinary dermatologist doing a biopsy. There is very little research out there, but it's believed that the condition is caused by a recessive gene. Symptoms can range from fairly mild to very serious, and it can affect the foot pads in addition to the nose. Seriously affected dogs' noses often bleed and peel, and their pads need to be shaved down.

Hello,

I had a girl many years ago who had this nasal hyperkeratosis. When we used keri salve faithfully, the dry skin would peel off, and her nose looked pretty.

She produced 2 litters, and NONE of her puppies nor her grand puppies, or great grands had this problem.

based on my experience, I do not believe this is hereditary.

Does not sound like nasal hyperkeratosis. Dry skin could be anything. Did you have a biopsy?

nota
Kate

Hello,

I had a girl many years ago who had this nasal hyperkeratosis. When we used keri salve faithfully, the dry skin would peel off, and her nose looked pretty.

She produced 2 litters, and NONE of her puppies nor her grand puppies, or great grands had this problem.

based on my experience, I do not believe this is hereditary.

How do you know your girl had nasal hyperkeratosis, was any pathology done? Did a dermatologist diagnosis this condition?

If it was diagnosed why would you breed the bitch? It doesn't sound like your bitch had the typical presenation of HK. You mentioned dry skin but nothing else.

Were the pads of the feet also affected?

Hereditary nasal parakeratosis has been noted in Labrador retrievers and crosses. An autosomal recessive mode of inheritance is suspected. Lesions are first noted between 6 and 12 months of age. They consisted of grayish or brownish adherent accumulations of dry and rough keratin. In more severe cases, fissures and erosions develope. Some dogs experience depigmentation of the remaining nasal planum. The dermatitis does not appear to be exacerbated by UV light exposure. Histopathology shoes parakeratotic hyperkeratosis and a sub-basal lympho-plasmacytic infiltration within the superficial dermis. Zinc methionine, cephalexin, Vitamin A alcohol and topical tretinoin have failed to be of benefit. Improvement of the lesions was obtained with topical vitamin E, petrolatum and propylene glycol.