Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
order of classes at shows

I found this on the AKC site in the rules and regulations for dog shows. My question is, do the classes always go in this order at AKC sanctioned shows? (My puppy grew up and I'm still new at this.)

SECTION 3. The regular classes of The American Kennel Club shall be as follows:
Puppy
Twelve-to-Eighteen Month
Novice
Amateur Owner Handler
Bred-by-Exhibitor
American-bred
Open
Winners
These classes shall be divided by sex.

Re: order of classes at shows

And open is always

Black
Chocolate
Yellow

Pete
I found this on the AKC site in the rules and regulations for dog shows. My question is, do the classes always go in this order at AKC sanctioned shows? (My puppy grew up and I'm still new at this.)

SECTION 3. The regular classes of The American Kennel Club shall be as follows:
Puppy
Twelve-to-Eighteen Month
Novice
Amateur Owner Handler
Bred-by-Exhibitor
American-bred
Open
Winners
These classes shall be divided by sex.

No these classes do not always go on this order at specialty shows. Classes are juggled so that there will be minimal conflicts and there is also the option of dividing the 12-18 month class into 2 classes- 12-15 and 15-18. Puppy classes are 6-9, 9-12 and AKC has added the option of 4-6 as a special class with special rules too. Additionally, the club has the option of dividing any and all classes by recognized colors, Black, AOC or Black, Yellow and Chocolate. Confused yet?

Confused? Oh, yeah....it's an all breed show if that makes a difference.....

Open can be Black, Yellow, Chocolate, depends on the Super

Yep
And open is always

Black
Chocolate
Yellow

This is completely wrong information. No, the classes do not always go in that order. In fact, at specialties, they rarely go in that order. And, Open is not always Black, Chocolate, Yellow. Different superintendents will do it different. I believe it is Rau that does Black, Yellow, Chocolate.

It's been my experience that, generally, All Breed shows do stick to that order (with the exception of Open class divisions varying by the Super). However, at Specialties (like Susan said) it can vary quite a bit. I was at a Specialty a couple of months ago where some of the classes were not in the "normal" order. I'll admit that it did take a moment to adjust, but, thankfully, it was all in the Judging Program so it really wasn't hard. That said, if there's a change in class order at an All Breed, you likely will not know it until it happens. Your best option is to be listening at ringside. The steward will announce each class and, if you ever have a question about which class is currently in the ring or next in the ring, ask them (steward)!

Breeder
Yep
And open is always

Black
. Different superintendents will do it different. I believe it is Rau that does Black, Yellow, Chocolate.

The superintendents do not decide on whether to divide the Open class - the Club makes that decision.

Show Chair
Breeder
Yep
And open is always

Black
. Different superintendents will do it different. I believe it is Rau that does Black, Yellow, Chocolate.

The superintendents do not decide on whether to divide the Open class - the Club makes that decision.

Whether or not to divide was not the topic. It was the judging order of Open Black, Yellow and chocolate. That is decided by the super.