Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Heart and/or Seizures

I know the heart problems are out there. I hear of offsprings and would not touch certain dogs. My question is does heart problems in Labs seem to skip one generation, two or still there to pop up later ?
I know it is hard when a stud can have pups or not with a problem and if not, how in the world would most of us know if a sibling to stud dog produced pups with heart problems ? And guess, the seizure problems may follow the same unknown patterns ? Makes it so hard to do research when there is not an open test like Optigen, EIC, and other OFA clearances.

Re: Heart and/or Seizures

The current belief is that TVD is dominant w/ incomplete pentrance. Epilepsy is not simple recessive or dominant trait..my guess is it is polygenic after dealing with it on a couple of different occassions in different pedigrees.

OFA is not an end all tool for HD or ED. Just because two parents have normal ratings does not mean that they will always produce offspring with normal ratings. It is an example of a polygenic trait. However, OFA is a screening tool that we have available to us and it has been instrumental in reducing the amount of HD/ED that we see.