Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What is the procedure?

Showing my dog in conformation this weekend. She injured a front tooth which had to be removed a few months ago. I have a vet statement verifying same. Not cosmetic and the tooth could not be saved.
What do I do with the statement? I know I can't give it to the judge. Do I show the steward? Just have it in my pocket? What is the procedure?
I just called AKC and was told the judge could decide to disqualify the dog?
Thanks in advance.

Re: What is the procedure?

No one will want the statement. It is of no use. The judge will judge the dog on it's merits. The dog will not be DQed due to a missing tooth and since it is a front tooth - it is not really a fault.

Read the standard -- Teeth--The teeth should be strong and regular with a scissors bite; the lower teeth just behind, but touching the inner side of the upper incisors. A level bite is acceptable, but not desirable. Undershot, overshot, or misaligned teeth are serious faults. Full dentition is preferred. Missing molars or pre-molars are serious faults.

Thank you Jan!

I wish all replies could be as concise, factual, non-judgemental and informative as yours!!

JanisG
No one will want the statement. It is of no use. The judge will judge the dog on it's merits. The dog will not be DQed due to a missing tooth and since it is a front tooth - it is not really a fault.

Read the standard -- Teeth--The teeth should be strong and regular with a scissors bite; the lower teeth just behind, but touching the inner side of the upper incisors. A level bite is acceptable, but not desirable. Undershot, overshot, or misaligned teeth are serious faults. Full dentition is preferred. Missing molars or pre-molars are serious faults.

No problem. Your welcome.

Thank you, Janis! I appreciate it....