Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Line Breeding

Haven't had an opportunity to ask my mentors yet a line breeding question, so thought I'd throw it out here.

Male I want to breed to is out of a brother of my girl's mom, is that too close? Main issue in line is EIC but my girl is clear.

Is there a book or other info where I can learn more about line breeding?

Re: Line Breeding

Try Mary Roslin Williams, Reach for the Stars. I have read it a couple of times and found it helpful.

Is your breeding program based off your mentors? If so, I strongly suggest that you consult this with them as they know their lines better than anyone on this forum. I have seen half siblings bred together, and Grandparents bred to their grandkids. However, the breeders that did this were very experienced and the lines were their own.

Is the brother of the girl's mom clear on EIC as well? If not, I wouldnt do it based on you stating that the main issue in the line is EIC.

Breeder

Is the brother of the girl's mom clear on EIC as well? If not, I wouldnt do it based on you stating that the main issue in the line is EIC.

It doesn't matter what his status is; her girl is CLEAR. No EIC can be produced with a breeding of a Clear to any other EIC status.

That is the purpose of the EIC test; producing Affecteds can be so easily avoided!

Breeder
Is your breeding program based off your mentors? If so, I strongly suggest that you consult this with them as they know their lines better than anyone on this forum. I have seen half siblings bred together, and Grandparents bred to their grandkids. However, the breeders that did this were very experienced and the lines were their own.

I hate seeing advice like this. It is just so wrong. The benefit of tests like the EIC test and the Optigen test is that you do NOT have to eliminate dogs based on their carrier status. If your dog is clear, they can be bred to any status. Your advice to not do it because there is EIC in the line is just wrong. You have some studying to do.

I'm still new to the breed and there for don't take my opinion and run with it but I would say that the breeding in question wouldn't be to close. If the dog has qualities that your dog requires and you like, then breed to the dog. As far as the EIC status, like others said, it doesn't matter if he's carrier or not because your girl is clear. You can not produce any affected pups. Based on the breeding in question i own dogs that are tighter lindbreed then the one mentioned. Talk to your mentors, the breeding may be what your looking for and if not they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Uncle to niece line breedings can really set type, but I would really make sure you know what is in your lines before I doubled up on them. Your mentors and the owner of the stud dog can be more help than this board.

Breeder

Roflmao. If you don't know what you are talking about, don't talk.

"Is your breeding program based off your mentors? If so, I strongly suggest that you consult this with them as they know their lines better than anyone on this forum. I have seen half siblings bred together, and Grandparents bred to their grandkids. However, the breeders that did this were very experienced and the lines were their own.

Is the brother of the girl's mom clear on EIC as well? If not, I wouldnt do it based on you stating that the main issue in the line is EIC."

"Roflmao. If you don't know what you are talking about, don't talk."

Well, yes, the EIC information was erroneous, but the first paragraph was good advice.

It's that kind of advice regarding EIC that make me cry. So many people are just so ignorant. The bitch is Clear, end of story on EIC. It has NO BEARING on the question or the choice of stud for a potential breeding.

I don't think the relationship between stud and dam is too close, but you will need to talk to your mentor about if anything else is hidden. Especially in regards to things that don't have clear cut DNA tests, if you can get anyone to talk about those things behind closed doors with you.

Correct me if I am wrong but if you bred the girl to an affected ... you would get 100% carriers. I dont see anywhere here stating what the male is with regards to his EIC status. Is our goal not to improve our breed and breed for EIC clears? Sure you can breed the 100% carriers produced to Clears and then you get your 50/50 and then breed them all to a Clear.

Learning
Haven't had an opportunity to ask my mentors yet a line breeding question, so thought I'd throw it out here.
Male I want to breed to is out of a brother of my girl's mom, is that too close? Main issue in line is EIC but my girl is clear.
Is there a book or other info where I can learn more about line breeding?

When you line breed you will find not only all the good things, but all the really really bad things in your lines. This is where clearances, knowledge of pedigrees and genetics comes in.

A good tool is breedingbetterdogs.com/pdfFiles/articles/bracketts_fomula.pdf Cut and paste into your browser.

Affected?
Correct me if I am wrong but if you bred the girl to an affected ... you would get 100% carriers. I dont see anywhere here stating what the male is with regards to his EIC status. Is our goal not to improve our breed and breed for EIC clears? Sure you can breed the 100% carriers produced to Clears and then you get your 50/50 and then breed them all to a Clear.

You are another one that is not using the EIC (and probably not the Optigen) test as a tool for breeding. No, the purpose is not to only breed clears. The purpose is to not produce affecteds. To eliminate a dog from breeding because he/she is a carrier, or even affected, is not using these tests for their intended purpose. That is: To NOT eliminate these dogs, based on their carrier status. When I think of all the Optigen B boys, or EIC carrier boys that would be dumped based on your idea, it makes be shake my head.

Affected?

Hey, if you want to be short-sighted because you refuse to produce carriers, that's YOUR business. But I am not going to let the EIC status of a dog limit my choices for using a super pedigree and SOUND dog because I'll get 100% carriers.

I would be really worried about your chances of getting TVD puppies....especially after seeing how many of them keep occurring from "lines that have never produced that!".....but then again those puppies aren't talked about so good luck :(

Labs2
I would be really worried about your chances of getting TVD puppies....especially after seeing how many of them keep occurring from "lines that have never produced that!".....but then again those puppies aren't talked about so good luck :(

Thanks for all the replies. Actually these lines come from generations of cardiac tested/clear parents, I'm more worried about epilepsy but see no known carriers. With my mentor's approval, I think I'll go for it.