Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EIC Testing

Testing for EIC... Can it be done on pups as young as 4 weeks old? Would swabbing the mouth at that age be sufficient for the testing? No flames please, I'm just asking a question. Thanks

Re: EIC Testing

It certainly could be done, but the puppy would have to be completely isolated from all other dogs before the swab was used. I don't know how long that would take, but I'm sure the testing laboratories could tell you.

they require 4 days of no nursing and then suggest individual isolation at least an hour before swabbing.

I do not wean that early so I pull blood at 4 weeks. That way it is only a few minutes of discomfort.

Call or email DDC. Pups can be DNA tested at any age, even just a few days...

http://www.vetdnacenter.com/canine-exercise-induced-collapse.html

DNA Guru
Call or email DDC. Pups can be DNA tested at any age, even just a few days...

http://www.vetdnacenter.com/canine-exercise-induced-collapse.html

I did mine at 3 weeks using this company. When I called them I was told that no isolation was needed, just to wash carefully between pups. I ended up with 3 clear and 2 carriers and feel that is accurate since Mom was a carrier and Dad was a clear. I had the results in 10 days.

I'm guessing here, but I suspect the question was related more to the cheek swap vs. drawing blood. The OP probably knows that DNA testing can be done on pups that young, but isolating for a cheek swab would be difficult at the age due to nursing.

At 4 weeks old, I would recommend blood draw vs. cheek swab, just to be sure... Are you anxious to get it done now so that you have results before you send puppies home? If you could get results in 10 days, then perhaps 6 weeks might be a better age to draw blood. Good luck! I hope your pick puppy is the clear!!

Clarification
... isolating for a cheek swab would be difficult at the age due to nursing.

Nursing is not a cause for cross-contamination; mother's DNA is not easily transferred via nursing either through skin contact or milk. Isolating pups from mom for 1 hour prior to sample collection will suffice to avoid residual milk left in the pup's mouth that could cause bacterial growth on the sample (rendering it unusable although that too is rare).

Clarification
At 4 weeks old, I would recommend blood draw vs. cheek swab, just to be sure

I guess it could be "peace of mind" for some but it seems like purchasing flood insurance for a house on top of the mountain. If an animal is already scheduled for a blood draw for something else then perhaps it makes sense to allocate a portion of that blood for the DNA test but to schedule an appointment solely for the purpose for DNA tests is an unnecessary expense and inconvenience when swabs are equally reliable as blood at any age.

I've sent blood overnight on Monday and gotten the EIC results back by email on Friday with VDL at the University of Minnesota. They want a vet signoff, so it's the cost of the visit/draw and I did the shipping, but if you'd like to do it before the pups go home, it gives a pretty quick turnaround. They take swabs as well.