Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy passing urine in her sleep

Has anyone ever had this happen to an eight to nine week old puppy. The Vet said he thinks the spincter muscles aren't developed. This is a Lab and the other puppies aren't doing this.

Re: Puppy passing urine in her sleep

Is she going just little amounts when she goes and does she look uncomfortable?? If so I would have her urine evaluated, she may have a UTI(their vulvas are so close to the ground when they pee at that age) , if it's not that it could be at the least a mild case of vaginitis.
My foundation bitch had a vaginitis just after she arrived( long flight and she had pooped in the crate) she was going in small amounts and one afternoon while she was sound asleep on my lap she just let it all out, it was nice and warm for a minute and then well it didn't feel so good anymore . She was treated with Nolvasan douches for a week and it went away, but Vinegar diluted with warm water works too.
Hope this helps.

Hopefully it's an infection or what your vet thinks, but read this info:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ectopic_ureters.html

I had a puppy that urinated while it was asleep. It turned out to be an ectopic ureter.

Seen that
I had a puppy that urinated while it was asleep. It turned out to be an ectopic ureter.

Yes, it sounds like this. Not an easy one to deal with.

Thank you so much for all of your help. This puppy went to a family that just lost their dogs to old age.
I just feel terrible and they love her already.
I guess we will deal with it together. Thanks again!

I have had this also. Don't know if an older couple or family could deal with it. You may have to take her back. Surgery may or may not work. I noticed it before 8 weeks, would be some leak on her fur when you picked her up. Hope also its just an UTI but a Vet will be able to run the test.

Yes, and it was an ectopic ureter. I hope that is not the case with your puppy.

If it is just one ureter that is not connected correctly, surgery in generally successful because the smooth muscles that control the bladder have developed. A vet can tell if this is an issue through an ultrasound or even an X-ray using dye.
If neither were connected you would have noticed her being wet all the time. With one connected, she can pass urine through her bladder which you can see.
Hopefully it is just a UTI, you need to help the family find a more knowledgeable vet in such matters or take the puppy back and deal with her issues.

Had the opposite happen than most...pup leaked urine in her sleep util she was spayed, then it quit!!

MWK

I too had an EU puppy that ONLY leaked in her sleep.

Every EU case needs to be evaluated for options as no two cases are the same - the ureter can be routed in many different configurations.

My puppy, the EU was caused when the ureter went from the kidney into the bladder as it should, then it continued to grow where it then exited the bladder and attached below the sphincter in the vaginal canal.

My puppy was able to have laser surgery to remove the excess ureter and has healed up wonderfully and almost 3 years later is living leak free.

Good luck.