Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Potomac sweeps judge

Allison
Looking for a response from the knowledgable people. Could you please verify that if a person decides to take the judges name off of their dog, it has to be done prior to one year of showing to that judge?
Thank you.

"No entry shall be made at any show under a judge
of any dog which said judge or any member of his
immediate household or immediate family has been
known to have owned, handled in the ring more than
twice, sold, held under lease or boarded within one year
prior to the date of the show." AKC Guidelines

Allison
Looking for a response from the knowledgable people. Could you please verify that if a person decides to take the judges name off of their dog, it has to be done prior to one year of showing to that judge?
Thank you.

If said judge is also a co-breeder of said co-owned dog, it will never be appropriate to show that dog to that judge.

I spoke to AKC today and was told that if you have used a handler and said handler has shown for you in the last four months you can not enter under that handler/judge. She also said that you could not use that handler to show your dog/dogs for four months following the judging assignment. I was surprised that a handler would Judge such a big event as Potomac under these conditions.

I assume this is correct information since it came from the event section, information person. But you never know!!

Let me see if I have this straight -
If I owned a dog with the sweeps judge, then none of my dogs can be shown at all? 2 situations that need clarification........1. What if the dog was placed in a pet home, but he never signed off? Does that mean he still owns it? 2. What if I co-own dogs with other people? Does that mean any dog with my name on it cannot be shown?

Yes you are correct "Checked AKC". Also any dog that is coowned by Rusty cannot be shown AT ALL. However, people that coown dogs with Rusty are able to show their other dogs to the other judges. Would i do it? No, it is more of an ethical issue to me.

Jen

I completly understand and agree that you should never show under a judge that you co-own dogs with. Of course...
At Potomac, if you co-own dogs with one of the sweeps judges, it should be clear that you do not show a dog to them. Your relationship with them makes that a no-no.
I also agree that it is best to not show any dogs in the regular classes that go back to the sweeps judge that you have ownership with.

Here is my question-there was a post from jen L. that seemed to say that it would not be ethical if I want to show some dogs in the regular classes that the sweeps judge has no connection to whatsoever. Did I read that post incorrectly?
Why would this be a problem or unethical?
I would not show under a judge I co-own dogs with.
I would not show dogs connected to that co-owner/judge to another judge at the same show.
But what is wrong or unethical with my showing dogs to the other judges when the dogs have no connection whatsoever to the judge that I do co-own with???

Many people are talking about whether or not they are going to enter the Potomac show.
There are many questions that are flying around since the one judge for sweeps has also handled and co-owns dogs with many of the exhibitors.
(I just want to say that I think Karen and Rusty are great choices and will do a very good job.)
People have even been asking if it is OK to enter the puppy match that the Potomac club has been doing at the beginning of the week!
Since decesions have to made soon, if they can find a hotel, my question is this-
Who do you ask to speak to at the AKC office to have your questions answered?
Would the MBF people know the answers?
Ask an AKC Judge?
Contact LRCP?
I have read comments on here but would like definitive official answers please.
Do not want to waste the entry fee or upset anyone.
Thanks for your time.

I have contacted the AKC office in NY and judge relations is the department and spoke to Tim/Kim and he said since both sweepstakes judges can show clients or dogs they own or co-own the day before potomac and the day after potomac. Potomac is considered a multi-day specialty so it would mean the whole week the sweep judges can not show any co owned or owned by them for regular class. Sweeps if your their client or own other dogs with them and they haven't had anything to do with that particular puppy you still can't show to them. Hopes this makes sense.

Regular judges its 3 days before and 3 days after the judging assignment within a 200 mile radius.

Hopes this helps with the questions feel free to call the judge relations dept in the NY office. 212.696.8200

What happens if you dog was sired by one of the judges dogs and they have never seen the dog? Technically okay right?

Stud dog
What happens if you dog was sired by one of the judges dogs and they have never seen the dog? Technically okay right?

I have never had a problem with breeders who show dogs sired by the judge's dog. There are no rules against it and their dog was only half of the equation any way.

As long as they don't co-own the pup or any other dog with you, there is no reason not to show the judges.

It would be worth buying a ticket to watch sweeps judging with a catalog in hand - I bet the hottest thread here the day after will be the trouble makers who probably already have half their crap written.