Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Entropion

Of course all 4 pups from my 2 litters were sold and later neutered or spayed. Why would I want to perpetuate entropian. Sure it's an easy enough fix but I don't want to have to pay $1000.00 surgery per pup when it pops up in each litter. It's not fair for families or persons who adopt puppies with entropian to pay for surgery. I would be afraid for the entropian pups who went to companion homes and the families didn't want to spend the money or didn't have the money to fix it's eyes so it could live a comfortable life, not in pain. They have already paid a nice sum for what they thought was a healthy puppy so why would they want to pay an additional $1000.00 to fix their new pup's eyes ? Sure, it some times doesn't show up till the pup is a little older but that is no reason for breeders to shrug off their responsibility to stand behind the pups they put out in the world.

>>>> Sure, it some times doesn't show up till the pup is a little older but that is no reason for breeders to shrug off their responsibility to stand behind the pups they put out in the world.<<<<

Which might also be another reason to stop standing 7 and 8 month old Baby boys at stud.

We found a vet at a clinic near us that did the surgery on both eyes and spay for $250. Its not a difficult surgery.

NEVER HAVE TRUER WORDS BEEN SPOKEN!!!!!

Hummm

Which might also be another reason to stop standing 7 and 8 month old Baby boys at stud.

In our entropian case., we used 2 different champions on our 2 girls I bred at the same time..days apart. There was never a history of entropian in my lines. These champion boys were older, owned by other breeders. Who knows why it happened the way it did.

I have seen quite a bit of entropion develop in that age group... what many describe as the "pin head" group.

From what I've seen (a couple of service dog organizations- mostly labs/goldens/GDS's, and local breeders of various breeds), the condition can often self-correct as the skull broadens and takes up some of the "slack" or loose skin around the puppies' heads. This isn't always the case, but it would definitely be worth a shorter anesthesia and quick easy procedure to put in a couple of little tacking sutures to pull the haired skin of the lid away from the corneal surface (for comfort) while waiting for that head to mature and broaden a bit. Entropion surgery may never need to be done- it can be a transient problem (ie- not permanent, only happening during certain stages of growth).

JMHO, of course.