Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Spaying after c-section?

I would never spay after a c-section unless her life was in danger. It is far too risky.

She could also have a problem producing milk after a spay. I can't think of a good reason to do both at the same time.

the uterus is very vascular and large when a bitch is pregnant. about three months later the uterus is the size of your little finger. a bitch who has undergone a c-section is exhausted, has lost blood, has rapidly changing hormone levels that aren't the same as a nonpregnant bitch and was probably already anemic related to the pregnancy. three or four months later her body is in better condition to tolerate another surgery. she is no longer anemic. hormonally she is normal.

a c-section plus spay means the bitch spends longer under anesthesia at the time of the c-section. not good.

the doctor who does the c-section plus spay is also more stressed and tired by the time he/she gets to the spay suturing.

i just don't see anything to recommend c-section spay combination except that it is less expensive.

Thanks all. To those who have experienced the horrific losses that we all fear, I am truly sorry. I plan to sit down with my vet on Friday and discuss this further.
Jan