Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Retinal Dysplasia-retinal folds

I think there must have been some areas of the country that had a stud dog or two widely used by them that made breeders in these areas to the testing at 8 weeks. You have got to realize that alot of the country did not get on this same bandwagon since we never came across the problem. You can try to teach for an educational reason, but don't talk down to breeders who don't do the same as you.

Re: Retinal Dysplasia-retinal folds

We have always tested our litters at 7-8 weeks - whether it was a CERF exam or not. We don't do it to be high and mighty, or any of that. We do it for two reasons, primarily: to rule out any issues that SHOULD eliminate a "keeper", and to provide another piece of information about what is coming out of our breeding program. I consider it just another tool. Having said that, if one of my bitches goes back 6 generations, and nothing has ever come up on a CERF exam out of that line, and the same for the sire, and I lived 6-7 hours from where I could get an exam done on a litter of 8-10 puppies..... well, that might be a different story. So, I don't think I'm ready to judge this particular person just based on this situation. It's a pretty crappy place to find yourself, but not everything is black or white.