Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Epilepsy - a breeder's story

Anne,

Can you say very sloooooowly? The initial forum post, looking for blood from sibling pairs, was published 4 years ago this April. The last update published was in January, 2012 when there were 29 pairs and 200 dogs, counting the pairs and their relatives. That is a start.

Research techniques have evolved and the researchers have found the families are providing the most useful information. 25 pairs was what they were looking for for the initial mapping study. We have that. But, the more they get, the sooner they will have an answer.

I spoke with Jessie and she said they are talking to several labrador people who will be bringing in some sought after family groups. She asked that I wait for them to come in and then she will provide new numbers.

If we want this solved, it is going to require cooperation from the lab community as a whole. Please remember the PRA research. Several teams were looking for a test for PRA. Optigen came up with a marker test that did not provide accurate results. But it did bring in blood from a huge number of dogs. The blood for the marker test is what gave Optigen the blood they needed to come up with an accurate test.

There will be a test one day. The more help we labrador folks give them, the sooner that day will come.

How do I find the original seizure study thread?

put epilepsy in the search box found in the grey area at the top of each thread

Thank you! I also reached Joan today. We will be submitting a mother and most of the litter for the study.

Your tenacity in this research is admirable Joan.

What is sad is how many breeders don't retire Labradors that have produced epilepsy. The same is happening with TVD.

The only way to stop diseases that we don't have testing for is to stop breeding those dogs that have produced it.

I admire those that have donated blood from siblings with and without epilepsy and who have stopped breeding them also. Those that continue breeding producers or those with epilepsy or other diseases should be ashamed of themselves.

I've seen seizing dogs and it can be quite disturbing.

Remember, not all dogs that seize have idiopathic epilepsy. There are other diseases that can cause seizures. For example, low thyroid levels, kidney or liver disease and other medical problems. If your Lab seizes, get to the vet to try to find out the cause if possible. Either way, the dog should NOT be bred.

Thanks for all of the updates and hard work Joan.