Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Expensive Hobby

Yes, we do a lot ourselves but it is still very expensive. What many of the general public fail to realize is, before and after a litter, adult dogs still need vet care, food, etc. They do not just sit on a shelf until a litter is desired. I do not try and justify the costs since pretty much everything we do involves the dogs and, as long as I can afford it, they will always be a big part of our lives.

Regarding Listerine use for ears. I clean ears every month with BROWN Listerine at the same time I trim nails and give ivermectin for heartworm (this is also labeled for horses, dosage for dogs is online). If I see any start of infection at all in the ears, I wipe with Listerine twice a day for at least 2 weeks, longer if yeast/infection is severe.

Once a vet gave me ear meds (don't remember which kind) and a cortisol injection for a pregnant bitch - I wasn't comfortable with that - infection and yeast was severe and I was desperate - I wiped ears with a 1 to 10 bleach/water solution - I have a professional otoscope for my own children -ears tolerated the very weak bleach solution without any redness or irritation and ears were perfectly clear within about 5 days.

Yes, it's a good thing we're not in it for the $$, or I would have quit long ago! However, I just spent a quality 2 hours outside in the early cool spring morning training and enjoying my dogs - that's priceless!

Well said. What many fail to realize too its that before and after any litter, there is year long care needed for every dog including vet care, food, etc. As you said, they enrich our lives in so many other ways.

Yes to the Listerine, it is the regular BROWN kind (the other versions have sorbitol in it). But since I went grain free, I never have ear issues.

I do the ivermectin (for COWS) heartworm and save probably $1,000.00 or more a year. ($30.00 for YEARS of preventative vs whatever the Heartguard version is per year).

I give my own vaccines (except rabies), and save $60.00 per dog/year.

My local humane society does spay/neuter for $75.00 vs $300 by my vet. When I mentioned that, my vet offered a significant "professional" discount (and that kept me in good graces with him, and willing to offer other discounts and free info).

I work part time at a kennel/rescue so dog food and gas is "free". Saving thousand per year.

What I can not get around are the price of entry fees. Typically I have two dogs competing each year (in conformation and primarily higher level performance) and that costs $2,000-4,000/year.