Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Expensive Hobby

Well said. What many fail to realize too its that before and after any litter, there is year long care needed for every dog including vet care, food, etc. As you said, they enrich our lives in so many other ways.

Re: Expensive Hobby

Yes to the Listerine, it is the regular BROWN kind (the other versions have sorbitol in it). But since I went grain free, I never have ear issues.

I do the ivermectin (for COWS) heartworm and save probably $1,000.00 or more a year. ($30.00 for YEARS of preventative vs whatever the Heartguard version is per year).

I give my own vaccines (except rabies), and save $60.00 per dog/year.

My local humane society does spay/neuter for $75.00 vs $300 by my vet. When I mentioned that, my vet offered a significant "professional" discount (and that kept me in good graces with him, and willing to offer other discounts and free info).

I work part time at a kennel/rescue so dog food and gas is "free". Saving thousand per year.

What I can not get around are the price of entry fees. Typically I have two dogs competing each year (in conformation and primarily higher level performance) and that costs $2,000-4,000/year.