Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Placing a puppy with special needs

Thanks for the encouraging words. I have been tempted to keep her, but the reality is, she needs more attention than I know I can give her. I appreciate hearing about your experience and it does make be believe that when she is placed, she will make someone a wonderful companion!

I know of someone who placed a deaf Lab puppy with a family who has a deaf son (older child). All involved thought it was meant to be. The family plans to teach the dog to respond to sign language commands and is used to "beings" that cannot hear. Too soon to say if it will work out perhaps, but there may be a family out that thinks your puppy was meant just for them. I agree with you that the pup is going to get overshadowed by the rest of the pack, my special needs dog often feels left out, and I only have one other dog.

Betsy, you had this puppy at the Boston Specialty and she is a sweetie! Bright and responsive and already responding to hand signals. It will be a special family that gets her - good fortune for the puppy and the family.

Thanks to all who responded with such encouraging ideas and stories. "Helen" has found a forever home with a lovely couple in PA, who have had 2 deaf dogs. They currently have a 12 y/o Lab (deaf) who they rescued, and recently lost their 7 year old Lab (female) to cancer. They are excited about training Helen and integrating her into their home. Again, thank you for all your thoughtful responses.

Betsy,
What wonder news! Sounds Like a wonderful and fitting home.
Wishing Helen all the best. This will be an emotional moment for you
letting go.