Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EIC test

Does it have to be done through a vet? Can you just send in cheek swab to somewhere?

Getting more and more expensive for testing if I have to have vet fill out form and vet visit.

Crazy as the test is for my own record.

Re: EIC test

No, you don't have to go through a vet and you can do a cheek swab. From what I was told, if you do it this way, you can't 'register' the results on the OFA site.

You can find all this on their website. http://www.vdl.umn.edu/ourservices/canineneuromuscular/eic/ They even tell you where to get swabs. The sterile individually packaged swabs can be ordered online in boxes of 100. That is a lot of swabs, but the box costs next to nothing.

I have done my own at home and you won't get a VPI (Verified Permanent Idetification)number but it can be done. If you have a Stud Dog,I would advise to spend the extra money to have a Vet Tech do it. Talk to your vet they might offer a price discount on an office visit for this as you do not really need to see a "vet" a tech can scan your chip and sign off after the swab is done.

My Vet only charged me $18 for the blood draw for EIC. To me, it was a fair amount for both of us and he did get his chip scanned etc....

I educated my vet on EIC testing, she will draw blood for me no charge, if I am in the office for something else, for EIC testing. I just make sure I fill out the forms completely, and all she has to do is scan, verify, and sign.