Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Black coats

Ok so I have a girl here who by all means of her pedigree is either a BY or a BB. Thing is her undercoat is brown. Her top coat is black, but her entire undercoat is brown. She has been this way since she lost her puppy coat. I usually see this in BC's.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? She appears a completely different color than the other BB/ BY dogs in our kennel, especially when wet or in the sun.

She is not one of our breeding, she was brought into the kennel from a long time breeder.

Re: Black coats

Get her DNA tested for color, simple.

She's going to have a beautiful adult coat. I have that in my dogs too. They don't blow their puppy jackets until they are 18 months old and the first blow is whopper ! They are ugly then . It has nothing, I repeat nothing to do with coat color.

breeder
She's going to have a beautiful adult coat. I have that in my dogs too. They don't blow their puppy jackets until they are 18 months old and the first blow is whopper ! They are ugly then . It has nothing, I repeat nothing to do with coat color.

I've heard the same, she'll have a beautiful adult coat. I've got a young boy who is By and his undercoat is brown. You can see it slightly as his coat is a bit "browner" them my other blacks coats. Hopefully he'll have a nice adult coat :)

I had one as an adult that kept the brownish under coat. He did not carry chocolate, but was a By. I later found out that his sire was known for producing brindle. Not sure if that had anything to do with his unusual undercoat color or not.

We had a BB, kk (Brindle/black-tan free) and she was bred to a chocolate and "one" daughter has it though not as pronounced.
I have also seen it in a friends Black dogs that would not be related for many years to the 60's. They were BY.
It's just a normal different shade of black.