Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: food brand not recalled

Mostly feed American Natural Premium but breeders I know feed Pedigree Performance (think it's called Sport now) and really like how their dogs do on it.

Re: food brand not recalled

Nestle bought Purina almost 12 years ago; I remember that it was within a few months after 9/11. The "dreaded shredded" was a distinct loss of quality.

I am feeding mostly Annamaet, something I almost hate to reveal, as I have watched all too many foods get popular and then go down the tubes in the haste to meet demand. Friends have banded together to help buy it in quantity for a lower per bag cost and to get free delivery to one house. The Ultra, Extra and Encore are tiny kibble, so not for the inhalers. The grain free seems to be bigger kibble. It is a brand so far never recalled.

Eukanuba and Iams recall, again, Re: food brand not recalled

I presume that you are also reacting to the recall this week of Iams and Eukanuba products for Salmonella, again. The Proctor & Gamble press release indicates that only 10 days of production are being recalled. Been there, done that, too many times, and then they end up recalling EVERYTHING. Not going back to Proctor & Gamble's Evo on the grain free end after all. Too bad, as my male did best on it after Acana changed their formula, at least until the food got recalled, after I had diarrhea dogs here. It miraculously stopped as soon as I changed the food. Yet they say dogs don't get Salmonella? I no longer believe that. I really do think they'd be safer eating road kill off the side of the road some days. Sigh. At least it would be natural.

Let me add this regarding my post above. Drs. Foster & Smith's food has been on the Whole Dog Journal's list of best food for 9 years. The facility where their food is processed was rated "superior" by WDJ. "Superior" is better than excellent. You also get free shipping on $49.

Holistic Select (formerly Eagle Pack) has never had a recall. They also have their own processing plant.

Holistic Select is part of Wellpet, which did have a recall last year when they farmed out some of their food for processing. Are they promising not to do that again?

They were great when part of Eagle, and not so great after buy out.

I feed Earthborn holistic Coastal Catch Grain Free. No recalls
thus far.

Yes, Wellpet has had recalls, but Holistic Select has not. The Wellpet recall involved Wellness, which is produced in a separate facility.