Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dirty britches

I have a yellow girl that is about 95% shed out. The only remaining old dead hair is on her thighs. It is easy to see because it is dirty. Brushing and combing do not do a thing. I can pluck out fingers full of dead hair. This just is not working! Any ideas how to get the dirty old hair out?

Re: Dirty britches

Give her a warm bath and brush her after she is dry. That should do the trick.

Gotta think about that. If I give her a bath, the dirty hair will get clean. But will it come out????????

Warm water always seems to take off coat of already shedding dogs. I brush my dogs well before bathing and usually there isn't too much hair in the water. However, when a girl is shedding, the water is floating with tons of hair. I make the temperature as warm I can with the dog still comfortable. I usually massage the dog starting with the back of the neck and then go all around and down. This keeps them in the bath a while longer and they love it. I do a spray rinse with warm water and a quick towel dry and then off to their crate. They will continue to shed and the next morning there will be a great deal of hair in the crate. You can even brush again and get still more. Be sure that you have a good catch in your drain because all the hair can plug your pipes. You will have a nice smelling dog too. Good luck and let us know how it went.