Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: CHIC

Labrador Lover
It boggles my mind that there's no mention of heart clearances...

Is the CHIC certificate designed mainly for field lines? I heard that TVD isn't an issue in field bred Labradors, but I have no idea if it's true.

Oh no, TVD can occur in field lines. I know of a field bred Lab with TVD, whose parents were subsequently echo cleared. Although I doubt it is as common in field lines as in show lines because of the emphasis on high levels of performance.

Interesting that PRA is not even an optional test in CHIC. Don't see much point in paying attention to CHIC when it is so piecemeal.

Considering that CHIC only requires that you TEST for the anomoly, and pass or fail, I think everyone needs to have their antennaes up to understand the results. So yes, in a sense, it's meaningless if people dont understand. I am in full agreement w/ Laurel that cardiac should be included. I think PRA should be included if EIC is. I've not submitted either results to OFA in years past however. I do it for my information, post to my own site, etc. I was a bit surprised for the added EIC req. Anne

PRA and EIC should not be included because the status of both can be determined by parentage and therefore testing is not always necessary. Also, since both conditions are caused by a recessive gene, you do not have to test your bitch if you are breeding to a dog who has tested clear.

EIC and PRA are genetic tests whereas hips, elbows, and cerf are phenotypic tests which need to be done every generation.

TVD test is also phenotypic but is the problem prevalent enough so that all breeding animals need to be tested? I will not breed to a stud dog who is not TVD tested but I only have my vet listen to my girls.

Wondering
I called OFA today because my dog didn't get a CHIC certificate. I learned that as of 6/15/13, EIC is a required test for Labrador Retrievers. A heart clearance though, is not required. Who thought of this? And my dog is EIC clear by parentage.

from me
PRA and EIC should not be included because the status of both can be determined by parentage and therefore testing is not always necessary. Also, since both conditions are caused by a recessive gene, you do not have to test your bitch if you are breeding to a dog who has tested clear.

I agree 100%

If you're only having your vet listen to your girls, you're missing TVD. I had a bitch who cleared twice by auscultation - once at one year and once at two years - yet she failed her echo with mild TVD not long after the second clearance. It shocked both me and the cardiologist.

So, with mild TVD, dogs (including hard working dogs) can live a normal life??? The problem would be that doubling up on it could cause big problems???

My understanding is that TVD is polygenic, but at least some of the genes involved seem to be dominant???

Labrador Lover
If you're only having your vet listen to your girls, you're missing TVD. I had a bitch who cleared twice by auscultation - once at one year and once at two years - yet she failed her echo with mild TVD not long after the second clearance. It shocked both me and the cardiologist.

I was hoping someone would answer those questions. I hope the way I worded them didn't come across as sarcastic and therefore insincere. I really would like ot learn a little more...

from me
So, with mild TVD, dogs (including hard working dogs) can live a normal life??? The problem would be that doubling up on it could cause big problems???

My understanding is that TVD is polygenic, but at least some of the genes involved seem to be dominant???

Labrador Lover

Auscultation may not pick up mild or even moderate TVD. And yes, a dog with mild to moderate TVD can live a normal life. I have a dog with moderate TVD and he is my most athletic and active dog. I hope to have him for many years but the reality is that with TVD I could lose him at any time. It could be a slow decline or he could die suddenly. I know breeders who experienced both. Unfortunately, the mode of inheritance is not known. With my TVD affected dog, the cardiologist could not hear the murmur with a normal stethoscope even though TVD was just diagnosed through color doppler. She was only able to hear it with a pediatric stethoscope.

You can get TVD with two color doppler clear parents. If you breed a dog with TVD, you will likely have multiple cases in the litter. I know of a litter where the sire was clear and the dam was affected and the entire litter had TVD. This isn't always the case. TVD is very complicated and very frustrating. I know a cardiologist who is now suggesting that a much more precise digital stethoscope should be used for auscultation but I don't know how many vets have them. I know the new cardiologist in my area did not have one when doing a heart clinic.

Thank you.

Is there any data on how prevalent this may be?

TVD
Auscultation may not pick up mild or even moderate TVD. And yes, a dog with mild to moderate TVD can live a normal life. I have a dog with moderate TVD and he is my most athletic and active dog. I hope to have him for many years but the reality is that with TVD I could lose him at any time. It could be a slow decline or he could die suddenly. I know breeders who experienced both. Unfortunately, the mode of inheritance is not known. With my TVD affected dog, the cardiologist could not hear the murmur with a normal stethoscope even though TVD was just diagnosed through color doppler. She was only able to hear it with a pediatric stethoscope.

You can get TVD with two color doppler clear parents. If you breed a dog with TVD, you will likely have multiple cases in the litter. I know of a litter where the sire was clear and the dam was affected and the entire litter had TVD. This isn't always the case. TVD is very complicated and very frustrating. I know a cardiologist who is now suggesting that a much more precise digital stethoscope should be used for auscultation but I don't know how many vets have them. I know the new cardiologist in my area did not have one when doing a heart clinic.

I am not aware of any data - but I know many breeders have had it at one point or another.

I have a TVD affected bitch - had clear auscultation from our Vet, clear auscultation from cardiologist, failed the echo. Had one litter between her auscultation and the echo - all pups cleared an echo at 12 months.

The board certified veterinary cardiologist that does my echoes has quoted that 20% of dogs that pass auscultation go on to have TVD diagnosed during the echo.