Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Why not breed on prelims?

Curious, I commend you for putting yourself out there for all the slings and arrows of opinionated breeders. Sounds like you are being reasonable, studying the breed, and are keeping an open mind to all possibilities.
OFA used to give their certification at one year of age. They switched to two years for final OFA certification because they found that 5% of the dogs tested changed from one year to two. That means that 95% of the dogs tested did NOT change from one year to two.
A color doppler ultrasound can be done at one year of age for TVD, so if that has not been done, you would serve yourself well to do that.
Also, it does depend on your knowledge of the line and the honesty of the breeders involved, i.e., as far as epilepsy, for instance, which does not typically show up until after two. And optigen and EIC can be done now. If all these tests clear and you have experience under your belt with this line, then I would definitely consider using him.
Years ago I bred to a dog who was 18 months old, who was linebred on Ch. Monarch's Black Arrogance. I was very familiar with this line and appreciated how clean it was. I made an educated decision to breed to this youngster, and never looked back. The result of that breeding affects my line and the lines of several others in a positive way to this day!

Curious
I've had only girls for many years. Currently I have a boy turning a year next week and I hope to do prelims. He has so much to offer my girls, shorter coupled, nicer head, perfect pigment, terrific coat and temperament. I know his lines for generations back. I've never bred on prelims before but am very tempted to use him if hips/elbows come out alright.

In the past when using others studs, I've never quite produced what I've wanted, my boy seems to have it all but his age. Also, with others studs, there are always dogs up in the pedigree that I know nothing about except clearances when they can be found.

I don't mind flames, they can be learning material, just want why it may be a problem to use a boy on prelims. TIA.

Have you done the x-rays? Wondering what you got and what did you decide to do if you did.
I think that it all depends on what he gets. If he prelims excellent/good and normal, I would use him. If he prelims fair, I would not use him until passing finals.

"OFA used to give their certification at one year of age. They switched to two years for final OFA certification because they found that 5% of the dogs tested changed from one year to two. That means that 95% of the dogs tested did NOT change from one year to two." I find this statement by Old Timer very interesting. When did OFA change to 2 years and why 2 years and not 18 months?

He'll be x-rayed tomorrow. He has several shows and companion competitions in the next few weeks. We'll see how all of this pans out.

I'm still thinking, thanks to all for all of the replies!!