Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hepatitis, canine

DHPP can be done every 3 years. No need to do it every year.
Lepto in more of a crowded city/rural area problem because it is mostly transmitted by rodents trough urine. Usually suburban areas do not have rodent infestations. If you have rodents in your property, then you should vaccinate every 6 months.

Hepatitis is extremely uncommon now. There are DHP vaccines without Hepatitis if you want to minimize the amount of antigen injected to your dogs.

You are incorrect about lepto. It is carried by deer, raccoons, rabbits, cattle, foxes. If your dogs run in the field, drink out of streams or ponds. they are susceptible to Lepto.

MWK

MWK
You are incorrect about lepto. It is carried by deer, raccoons, rabbits, cattle, foxes. If your dogs run in the field, drink out of streams or ponds. they are susceptible to Lepto.

MWK

Lepto is commonly caused by rats.

http://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2011/bacterial-disease-outbreak-threatens-metro-detroit-animals/

MWK

MWK

It is mostly transmitted by rodents' urine when they feed on the animals food.

Both are correct. I've read about the city dwellers having issues and certainly, the wildlife carries it. Stagnant ponds are a big risk in W. WA esp. I've been told by my W. WA friends that "Lepto is our (C.Wa) parvo". It's not that they have a lot of rats but they do have a LOT of raccoons, etc. carrying it. I do as MWK does and vaccinate in the early spring annually since my dogs are in the water, and esp the younger ones, are running hunt tests, etc in W. WA where it's prevalent.

The point I was trying to make is it is not just rats and not just urban. It is anywhere we might have our dogs especially if we do fiield work.

MWK