Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Puppies Eyes Not Opening

Yes, please let us all know. It could happen to any of us. We love to learn and I sure hope the puppy is okay. Sorry.

So the breeder who posted this never came back on the forum or just chose to never post what happened with her puppy? Did the puppy's eyes open==is the pup ok? Did a vet see the puppy? What happened?

Since the original poster has disappeared, I thought I would tell my story. I had this happen to a terrier puppy. Eventually the eyes opened at 4.5 weeks, and they were cloudy. Brought the puppy in to the vet and they said it happens now and then, she didn't know why, and that the eyes will be ok. I didn't believe her, but it was true. The cloudiness went away after a couple weeks, and I kept him a little longer than usual to be sure he had no problems. Brought him in to an ophthalmologist and his eyes were fine. This was 4 years ago and the dog is doing great in a pet home.

my experience
Since the original poster has disappeared, I thought I would tell my story. I had this happen to a terrier puppy. Eventually the eyes opened at 4.5 weeks, and they were cloudy. Brought the puppy in to the vet and they said it happens now and then, she didn't know why, and that the eyes will be ok. I didn't believe her, but it was true. The cloudiness went away after a couple weeks, and I kept him a little longer than usual to be sure he had no problems. Brought him in to an ophthalmologist and his eyes were fine. This was 4 years ago and the dog is doing great in a pet home.

Thanks for posting this, very interesting.

I had a puppy with one eye that never opened, then did about a quarter of the way. Same thing, cloudy eye. There was some type of infection. Vet prescribed antibiotic and steroid ointment, wanted a very slow recovery, because the fluid in the layers of the eye was actually protective. Eventually, the eye cleared right up and I took the puppy to an eye clinic before placing him. Lived a full life with good vision and no further problems. Here's hoping the OP will report back to us on her little one.

Yes, I forgot, it was so long ago. I did put drops in his eyes, too. She didn't say infection, it was just to be safe.