Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Any advice for 2 litters at once?

Maybe "spread the wealth" & offer to compensate a TRUSTED friend to take over one litter, especially after weaning.

Why didn't you offer to take one of my litters? LOL

Mike

I would have have but somebody had borrowed my whelping box ....and I'd just had so much fun with Rainie's litter. The fun just keeps on comin LOL!

We had two litters three days apart last year. I never wanted two at once, but it just worked out that way. It's double the stress, and double the work. We had two separate whelping boxes, and both moms stayed in the same room, but with a fence between them. After they were about four weeks old we let them all play together, and it worked out fine. It was a handful though... Good luck!

Breeder
We had two litters three days apart last year. I never wanted two at once, but it just worked out that way. It's double the stress, and double the work. We had two separate whelping boxes, and both moms stayed in the same room, but with a fence between them. After they were about four weeks old we let them all play together, and it worked out fine. It was a handful though... Good luck!
This is some reasons why many of us don't have more then 1 litter at the same time. I've never done it and probably never will, I want my pups to get as much of my attention as possible. I can't imagine those of you that work full time and have more then 1 litter at a time. Working away from the home even with 1 litter has to be tough on pups, Mum and breeder.

A current puppy buyer noticed a +breeder+ in the central-north-coastal US with 6 litters on the ground within less then 1 month & 5 DUE NEXT MONTH. The buyer called there before I was referred. The owner, she has young workers there but do you really think those pups or Mums get the attention they should? No way! Prices begin at $3500 per pup the puppy buyer said and go upwards by another $3500 to $7000 for pets if any are left available. I never knew. I thought our puppy prices were sort of high here at $1600 to $1800 within the club. They aren't.

I would allot as much of your time possible for the Mums n pups. If unsure of how they will react to each other and pups, separate their rooms completely and don't allow anyone near the others. Hormones n babies can change how a bitch feels about her buddies.

Good luck to the OP. You'll need it. I'm so glad it's not me and I truley hope all goes well. Take a vAcA after.

Our 2 litters we had this year ended up being 2 days apart..... Super fun and I so loved it! But we had somewhat small litters. One girl had 3 yellows (By to Y- go figure! She had 2 previous litters, one in '09 and one in '10 and they were all black lol), other girl had 6 (blk/ ylw). Our girls are in the living room, just on separate sides so they have space, but as soon as the puppies were 1 week they tried to help eachother lol. Momma wanted her daughters puppies with her- she LOVES puppies! This was mother and daughter and both are just great girls! They loved being out together as soon as the puppies were old enough to venture outdoors. The 2 litters were then raised side-by-side. So I guess it varies based on the person. We're a family of 6, so lots of help with "chores". No added stress/ work load. Just double the mess, but in all honesty, I don't mind. Our girls have 4-6 puppies so if I had to do it again due to it just working out that way, then I would.

The size of the litters makes a big difference. I have two litters right now about 1 week apart. One litter of four and the other of five so it is really like having one litter with nine puppies, but with two moms so plenty of milk for all. It is working out fine and I kept my two girls side by side each in their own whelping box. I bought a second box once I knew I had two pregnant girls. There has been the normal stress like having one litter and I have made adjustments and dealt with it. It was even a big help at one point because one of my girls got sick and needed help and the other mom stepped in for a few days to help with the pups. Now mine are reaching 5 weeks and 6 weeks and I will continue to raise them as two separate litters. One litter of puppies are a bit larger than the other litter and I don't want to have anyone getting pushed around to much. It can be done.

Good luck.

I just finished two litters 6 days apart. Litter of 10 and a litter of 5, called it my Nickles and Dimes. Two 11 x 11 pens, side by side, each with a homemade whelping box in the corner. I just moved between the two pens. Potty boxes, homemade, were attached to whelping box at 3 weeks of age. Kept them inside that area for another week or until they were solid in using the potty box. Then we dropped the sides of the potty boxes and whelping boxes so they were open to each 11 x 11 pen area. It was a little hectic at times but the pens are in our family room and I slept right there. I used an 8 foot folding table reachable by both pens where I kept supplies, scale, etc . . .
In my situation both litters were donated to Support Dogs in St. Louis so I didn't have to deal with pet families. The whole experience wasn't that bad.

Terri - Ducktales