Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DDC DNA coat color test questions

Is the DDC DNA test for coat colors accurate? And I hate to admit this, but I haven't a clue as to which one of these locus tests I'm supposed to order. Can someone clarify this for me?

Thanx in advance!

http://www.vetdnacenter.com/search-breed-result.php?breed=79

Re: DDC DNA coat color test questions

It seems accurate to me on the two Labs I tested back when they could do EIC, as color was a cheap add on then, as it still can be with CNM. What are your concerns? Call them and discuss it, as they are helpful. Are you simply looking for a black or chocolate carrying the yellow gene, dilutes, brindle points. white factor, or what?

I want to find out if my black bitch which carries chocolate also carries the yellow gene. I am thinking about breeding her to a chocolate dog that also carries yellow. I want to avoid yellow puppies if possible.

No Coupons, it looks like we both posted at the same time.

I see a telephone number at the DDC web page. I'll take your advice and will give them a call. Thanx :)

I got what I expected but didn't want: yellow girl carrying chocolate. It is a small thing, but it changed my stud selection, and I am happy that I tested.

Call or email them with your question, and they walk you through it. The test is fairly straight forward. Good luck!

E locus, Re: DDC DNA coat color test questions

I believe that you are testing the E locus. You could also test for coat length. I was thrilled to find that my girl, while she carried for chocolate, at least did not carry the long coat gene of her great grandsire.
http://www.vetdnacenter.com/canine-dna-coat-color.html

E Locus (DNA marker tested – R306ter)
Most often used to determine the relationship of the Black (dominant) to Yellow (recessive). The ee genotype results in a yellow phenotype. (“Yellow” can represent a variety of lighter colors including apricots, reds, creams, and whites)

Possible Genotypes:

EE – does not carry yellow
Ee – yellow carrier
ee – yellow phenotype

discounts, was E locus, Re: DDC DNA coat color test questions

Special Discounts
There are two great ways you can save money when you place an order on the following page.

Multiple Dog Bonus: Order tests for 5 or more dogs and receive an additional $10 off of the base price!!
Multiple Test Bonus: Order one test at regular price (per canine) and all other tests are only $20.00 (same canine).

I've been very happy with all testing done by DDC. They have no more of a human error rate then any other Laboratory be it for dogs or humans.

I trust them.