Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Surgical Implant Frozen Semen---did I catch it in time?

Frozen virgin
First time doing a frozen semen surgical insemination:
Monday did the first progesterone: 0.3.
Thursday second progesterone: 0.5.
Debated with vet and Semen Bank when to do next, since vet does not take appointments on the weekend, he said Monday, semen bank said TUESDAY (I was not comfortable with this). Over the weekend, the behavior in the pack was insane, especially on Sunday, figured she ovulated then.
Monday morning at 8:00AM called the semen bank to ship the tank then, they said they could not ship until Tuesday. Since I did not have any progesterone numbers to push my point, I brought her in for another progesterone Monday late afternoon and waited.
Tuesday AM, the results from Monday 5:00 pm draw: 11.3! So, if the progesterone doubles every day after 5.0, she most likely ovulated Sunday afternoon.
The semen bank felt that this timing was right, three days after ovulation.
My vet did the surgical insemination at about 11:30AM on Wednesday....
My question is: for those who have had experience with Surgical Inseminations, what was your experience, and what was successful?
BTW, the motility was between 30-50% according to my vet, the semen bank did not seem to think that was a problem.
We've done 3 frozen breedings total on 3 different bitch's. No misses, a small litter due to a timing delay of 12 hours we couldn't prevent and there were still 2 live puppies born. The 2 others were litters of 8 and 9 live puppies. All were non surgical, TCI's. The two most successful were done at 19ng-ml and 26ng-ml, progesterone was done 1 more time at the time of the breedings. It's not a bad idea to do 1 more at that time. For all you're spending, what is 1 more progesterone level in the grand scheme of things?

You have a good chance of the timing being right as long as she ovulated a normal amount of eggs and the semen was decent when thawed. Tuesday evening would have been a little better but it still sounds okay. It's always a smaller window of time with frozen but you sound as if you were right on the money especially doing a surgical implant (or TCI.) Do post what happens either way for others to see there is nothing wrong with some no.'s like that. Too many panic as soon as the bitch hits a 5.0 and begin breeding too early, sometimes based on a GP Vet's advice reading the information from Antech or Idexx which is incorrect. Ovulation takes place between 5.0 and 10, usually around 8.0. Not 5.0 on the nose necessarily.

Did you use Antech or Idexx out of curiousity? Idexx is known for getting faster-same day results back if notified and being a little more accurate.

If you're that worried, spend $40 + or - and call Hutch for his opinion. I think you'll be fine. Time will tell, so relax. Next time find another vet that does progesterone levels on at least Saturdays as a back up. Waiting the entire weekend is unacceptable when you're getting that close to a surgical implant with frozen semen. Jmo. Why was her next level done late on Monday instead of the morning? Again, just curious, if it should have been done on the weekend then the earlier Monday the better. You would have had results by 4 in the afternoon from morning testing instead of Tuesday morning. That's over a 12 hour difference.

P.S. I saw the thawed semen from my litter of 8, I couldn't see many live, swimming sperm. I don't know what the count was but I didn't like what I saw. Obviously, either they didn't all wake up yet or it still worked just fine anyway. Treat it like any other breeding at this point, wait and see and keep the pack away from her. Good luck.