Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Flying With Puppy As Carry On

I have a flight booked to Mobile Alabama to deliver a puppy to a family that has a 5 year old pup from me. This is the first time I will be flying with a puppy as carry on. Can anyone give me some good advice, etc. I have checked with the airlines and the pup does NOT need a health certificate but I will get one for her any how. Thanks in advance

Re: Flying With Puppy As Carry On

Have several Ziplock type bags, at least gallon in size, containing wipes, very absorbent paper towels, extra liners for the carrier, and consider having pup wear a pheromone DAP collar to keep pup calm. If he gets sick, you don't want to be smelling that. Get pup used to traveling in the carrier and car before you go starting with very short trips. In practice runs, if you can, have someone help you to monitor the pup or drive so pup doesn't rip carrier. Have pup learn a calm response to being in the carrier by having pup tired out and without a full belly when you practice or fly. There are very absorbent crate liners that are disposable. One might go under a fleece or towel, just in case. However, pup will probably be fine.

At the airport, act as though you know what you are doing so they don't get crazy about the height of pup in carrier. The soft carriers flex to match the pup, especially the Sturdi Bags.

Have a bowl and some kibble, just in case of a delay, along with collar with ID and lead.

A friend with search and rescue dogs taught her German Shepherd to eliminate on command on a piddle pad in a small room, to simulate an airport bathroom on an overseas flight. I don't think you have to go that far, but it is a useful skill!

Re: Flying With Puppy As Carry On

My daughter flew from NY to Florida with a pup as carry on and everything was fine until Phildelphia. Airline employees said the carry on was too small for the puppy and made her buy a full size airline crate and he had to go as luggage for the rest of the trip. She didn't tell me about it for 3 years. So I agree that you should act like you know what you are doing and I wouldn't get too chummy with other passengers or the airline employees.