Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: long heats

It depends on the bitch. Each girl and each season can be different. I have a girl who is bred day 21 to 25. She has had litters of 10 and 12 each whelping.

Isn't there a non-repro vet that does progesterone testing closer? Spending the money for progesterone testing instead banking on your own boys and when she'll stand for them makes a lot more sense.

You're doing things like they were done 30 years ago. Modern technology has caught up with all of this many years ago.

Disappointed
I think that I missed her. I'll try again next time. I'll take a look at the fern test. Thank you!

My question is for how many days can they be receptive?

Sometimes none. Do a side by side collection and AI when she's 48 hours past a 5.0 ng per ml and repeat 24 to 48 hours later. Antech and Idexx are used by GP vets too. You don't need a repro vet to use them. Any vet uses 1 or the other for blood work. Do you not want to spend the money for progesterone testing? Ferning works most of the time for experienced breeders.

Patience with a bitch who doesn't ovulate when you want her to works very well. She's not going to stand for your boys if she doesn't have an LH surge or ovulation. Some never stand at all. That's 1 of many things an AI is for.

Cornell also does progesterone. I get the blood drawn and spun down at my local vet and deliver it to the lab for same day results. You can also ship it.

my girls all seem to be late risers , I have bred girls on day 23-25 and had litters of 9-10. You just can't give up thinking it won't happen.