Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dew claw date for low wt litter

If you ever saw a 3 yr old whose dew was caught on something, rippled the whole paw-- you would pay ahead to avoid any of your own pups ever having to go through that

Do dews
If you ever saw a 3 yr old whose dew was caught on something, rippled the whole paw-- you would pay ahead to avoid any of your own pups ever having to go through that

If you preemptively removed all the parts of the dog that *may* get ripped, torn, caught or broke in a freak accident, you'd end up with a stump.

I had a little mixed breed named Frisky that I got as a young adult. She weighed between 10 and 12 pounds. She had dew claws that would have fit better on a 20 - 30 pound dog. Darn things stuck out and she caught them on several different occasions. She'd let out a loud yelp and bleed like crazy. But it was over in no time. I am sure it hurt, but I was not remotely tempted to have them removed. She used those dew claws with toys and bones very effectively. In my mind, removing dew claws is merely a cosmetic procedure.