Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Judgement at LRC of Potomac 2013

" another breeder

Dec 23, 2013 - 3:16AM

It's no longer about breeding to the standard but breeding to win. "

I think it was always like that, it hasn't changed unless it's someone only breeding for money for their household or to pay to show their dogs. Even over the pond in England where some health problems were ignored for many years, you don't think certain kennels only bred to win culling those that didn't make the grade?

This is not something new,it's a different look. Coat and fat hides some conformation defects too.

Re: Judgement at LRC of Potomac 2013

One only needs to look at the publications of Mary Roslin-Williams to understand the evolution of the Labrador. The photos of Labs from the early 1900's look far different from the the dogs she bred. The "Show" Lab of today looks very different to the "Field" champ today.

Who is to blame ? or is there a need to blame, as both dogs serve a purpose and are loved. Mary Rolin-Williams promoted the "Duel Purpose Labrador" . How many breeders today are trying to produce a CH in the Ring and the Field? Do you blame the judges or the breeders for the split in the bred? Do you show to win ? Or do you show because you want to do the best you can at producing the best dog for field and structure? Do you enter your dogs in as many hunting trials as you do show events? Do you take your Labrador hunting during the season?

While it is possible to try to breed the perfect dog, no one has yet. Some have come close only to find they introduced a genetic defect passed on to thousands of their get. If you strive for excellence in a sporting breed you will fail more often then you succeed in making a Duel Champion.

Then you have evolution. Better nutrition and less space for hunting has passed on genetics that have changed bone structure. You tell me if you can ever go back in time and bring back Mary Roslin-Williams idea of what a Labrador should be.Is the Labrador you are producing capible of a days hunt and then being the perfect family dog? Do "Show" judges even look to see if the Lab they are putting up is in "Working" condition?

I was very surprised to see a recent Master Hunter title won by a "Show" Champion get little response in that thread, vs some threads for TVD issues. Only 62 Labradors have ever done it. Did you go and watch the video ? He's a beautiful Lab that can work fast and shows his athletic ability. It is possible to strive for excellence in the ring and field.

Labradors are great even if they are not perfect. I am sure most breeders do the best they can with the genetics available. Sadly some dogs that should have been bred never were or were sterile. Sadly some beautiful specimens passed on terrible genetic disorders. Breeding is not for the faint of heart.

Happy New Year Labrador Lovers from the Americas to the rest of the world. They are all perfect to those who love them.