or information about joining the association

Swift Boat Sailors Association Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Passing of a Swiftie

Paul,

I regret that I cannot verify Tony's service on swiftboats. This does not mean he didn't serve just that his name appears in none of the available documentation.

I also talked this over with the CTF116 (PBR) and CTF117 (MRFA) people and they also have no record of Tony ever having served in country Vietnam.

I know this doesn't help much ... but I can validate Tony's Navy service on at least one precom crew for a new LST in 1973.

Larry Wasikowski

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Found the following obituary online from the Missoulian in Missoula MT. Was anyone here familiar with Tony Zoske?

Thanks for the prod to go looking Ken.

Shep

"Anthony William ‘Tony' Zoske

SNYDER, Colo. - Anthony William “Tony” Zoske passed away at his home in Snyder, Colo., on Dec. 5, 2005.

Tony was born to Fritz and Ada Zoske at Daly Memorial Hospital in Hamilton on Sept. 25, 1933. He attended Jefferson Elementary and Hamilton High School, graduating in 1951.

He joined the U.S. Navy at age 17 and served for three years. After his initial stint in the service, he attended Montana State College in Bozeman for one year. He then decided to rejoin the Navy, retiring in 1980. During his tour of duty, he served in the Korean War and did three tours in Vietnam. His Vietnam service included duty aboard the Swift boats on river patrols. He received several military honors.

After retirement, Tony returned to Hamilton where he was involved in the Eagles and Elks fraternal organizations, holding offices in each. He was also a member of St. Paul's Episcopal Church. Tony worked at the Vogt Ranch in Sula, the Coast To Coast store in Hamilton and did home repair.

Tony married Betty Rose Macdonald on March 15, 1979. They were constant companions and best friends.

He is survived by his wife Betty of Snyder; daughters Eva Lofthause of Fort Morgan, Colo., Virginia Ladwig of Snyder and Olga Casodas of Wheatridge, Colo.; his mother Ada Zoske of Hamilton; his brothers, Mike of Anchorage, Alaska, and Joe of Pendleton, Ore., and their families; as well as seven grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren.

He was preceded in death by his father Fritz Zoske.

In lieu of donations, the families request that you hug your kids and grandkids!

Cremation has taken place and a memorial service with military honors will be held at a later date in Hamilton. "

Re: Re: Passing of a Swiftie

Thanks for checking Larry. I know we have large gaps in the records. You have the most accurate compilation of Swifties there is.

Shep

Re: Passing of a Swiftie Tony Zoske

Anthony "Tony" Zoske is my uncle and I can verify he did several tours off the coast of Viet Nam during the war. I don't think he ever did swift boat patrol, but he was offshore on a Navy ship for all his tours. He told me he never got off the ship and stepped into Viet Nam. Safer that way.

He very rarely talked about his service, but he did have a fairly high security clearance. His wife probably got the idea he served on swift boats from my grandmother.

He served over 30 years in the Navy. Thank you for remembering him.

Toni Zoske Greer