The Logic Forum Discussion Area

Logic
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Logic problem - wrong?

Hi Avi,

Thanks again. I've recently purchased a copy of FL and will open a thread here in due course so that I can post any queries that come up as I read it (there are bound to be some).

I'm a little disappointed that the book has no index, although the TOC is quite comprehensive.

Something about you (optional) student

Hi Greg. Good for you! I hope you got a hardcopy rather than an e-book. It is a big book, best read on paper.

As regards an index, it is a massive very difficult job. I have not to date found software able to help me. A professional is very expensive and anyway he would have to know the subject pretty well to pick the right words.

If you need to find something you can always use the search facility in thelogician.net (you can zero in on FL specifically instead of the whole site).

Something about you (optional) Logician, philosopher

Hi Avi,

Yes I have a hardcopy of FL. There are quite a few software packages to help with generating an index, but you're right it's not just a matter of point-and-click.

Good, Greg. My recommendation is read/study a chapter a day, or even a section or page a day if you prefer. This is how I study, and I get through very thick books that way. It is surprising how quickly time passes, and then one is halfway through the book or at the end of it.

Do tell me of any book Indexing software you know about.

Hi Avi,

Yes good advice. I'll try to read a chapter every day.

Regarding index generators, don't know whether you've looked at this one?

http://www.openviewdesign.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=124

Thank you very much for the link. I'll look into it and thank you again if it works out for me.

... I looked at the program. It is what I always dreamed of. But it would be too big a job for me now, to do this on my 21 titles!