The Logic Forum Discussion Area

Logic
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
what is the meaning of comprehension?

I was reading about intension vs extension and sometimes the word comprehension comes up. I googled it and this is what Wikipedia says:" In logic, the comprehension of an object is the totality of intensions, that is, attributes, characters, marks, properties, or qualities, that the object possesses, or else the totality of intensions that are pertinent to the context of a given discussion."
I'm not a native speaker and I want to know whats the meaning of this word. is like the ability to understanding something or what?

Re: what is the meaning of comprehension?

Hi. Intension refers to any attribute included in a term's units, extension to the scattered units it refers to. Comprehension here refers to the sum total of intensions, within a given unit, certain units or all units. To comprehend, here, means to include - not to confuse with to comprehend in the sense of to understand. In the latter case, the inclusion implied is the inclusion of the object concerned in the subject's mind, or rather in his intellectual grasp of it. It is just a homonym. I should also add that the intension-extension distinction is rather artificial, simplistic, old-fashioned.

Something about you (optional) logician-philosopher