school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

Mental Wellbeing
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Medication Question

HI Morag

My son was not on Prozac (somebody else might have more specific information on here?) but I do know from the two different types of medication that he has been on that the usual length of time for it to kick in properly was 4-6 weeks. They can start to feel a difference within a couple of weeks - but then it takes longer to work properly.

Also often it takes more than just medication. It takes counselling and/or Cognitive Behaviour Therapy as well to help improve things and make going back to school possible. For some kids it seems to be all they need to take the edge off the anxiety but for others, and perhaps your daughter who has missed a lot of school already, she might need more support systems in place. Is she able to access counselling and able to get cognitive behaviour therapy somewhere?
IF not - read up as much as you can yourself and try working the cognitive behaviour advice and ideas into how you approach the situation.
Is the school supportive?
Let us know how it goes and if we can offer any further help or advice - don't hesitate to ask.
All the best,
Linda

Hi Linda,
Thanks for the information. Yes my daughter is under CAMHS and has has been receiving CBT for last 4 months. It's the hardest thing we've ever been through! The school are supportive, however all the resources they offer are based on my daughter getting in to school which so far hasn't worked. We are so worried about the missed education and are really hoping the medication is enough to get her in to school so she can use the resources and learn to cope at school.

I can't believe I have only just found this forum!
Thanks x

Hi Morag,

So glad you found us! It was a life saver for me when I found the site many years back after Simon set it up.
You are not alone - and yes, it is a tough journey. There is no one answer - and so I can only also offer suggestions from my experience of the forum (I now oversee) and my own experience with my son.

Medication did help my son. Unfortunately he didn't get onto the medication that worked until we had struggled through the school system for years and years. It allowed him to attend a college and pass his year 11 schooling last year. He missed a lot...but attended enough to get through.

I wonder if you put pressure back on the school to provide an education for your daughter - they might provide the tutoring which is actually written into the UK education policy but most schools choose not to act on it as they are unsure how to class mental health. But the wording is if there is a health issue whether physical or mental. So in that case - schools should be either sending work home or providing tutoring. Perhaps make some enquiries. It might be what your daughter needs to keep in the loop. Explain to the school that getting left behind is not going to get her into school.

Hang in there - you are a good mum and doing all you can in very trying circumstances!
Linda

Hi everyone

Just to update you all. My son has been on Prozac 20mg for at least a term and it has helped him to go back to school. He still has had a couple of hiccups but got over them quickly. The other thing that is helping him is giving rewards for going to school but that is expensive and I don’t think its healthy in a way if you do it too much but sometimes theres no other way.

Fiona

Hi Fiona

That is good news indeed! Thanks so much for letting us know. Don't feel guilty about the rewards - some times you just have to do what you have to do!
Others can perhaps gain some strength and hope from your update. We never got to try Prozac but the research that was being conducted in our city were using Prozac coupled with Cognitive behaviour therapy. At the time, my son had not been out of school for three months in a row so did not qualify for the program unfortunately!
best wishes,
Linda

Hi Morag

Just wondered how you are getting on with your daughter? My son is a school refuser and we are still waiting to see CAMHS in order for him to get the support he needs. His school also refuses to issue work unless he can try to get into school.

I am hoping that you have seen some improvement.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Susan