school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
blip days

Hi everyone

We're now into the 2nd week of not managing anything, my son has not even managed to go to his football, my mum phoned yesterday and told my son that she would come pick him up and take him out to lunch, he said that he didn't want to leave the house, We have ameeting at school tomorrow, wish me luck! I'll let you know how we get on.

Take care every one x

Re: blip days

Hi Dorothy,

I was sad to hear about your son but please dont worry, my daughter had many times like that and she has come through it and survived. I began to think she would become scared to even leave the house but that wasn't the case, because there were times when she lost all interest in everything and just used to sit in her room on her computer or drawing.
At the time, the only way I could get through to her was to take ALL pressure off of her. I found by NOT talking about school or going out, we managed to chat about other things, which opened up communcation between us again.
My daughter has recently told me that when times were bad, all I spoke about was school and all my conversations would lead back to school and going out, (which made her 'shutdown').... I didnt even realise I was doing it!
I hope your meeting goes well, just remember you are doing a good job and you and your son will get through it. I promise.
Take care.

Sue x

Hi Dorothy,

You've been on my mind all day.
How did the meeting go?
Were the 'professionals' as helpful and understanding as they usually are? haha

Sue x

Hope to day went well Dorothy.

Penny x

Hi Penny and Sue

Thank you so much for your support, you both are going through this too but, you have time to think of me. The meeting went just as I expected, my son hasn't been in for 2 weeks, as you know, and looking back at his attendance, he has only made maths 4 times this year, this was a concern for the school as this teacher is being paid, the head of year said that she would have to let the education board know about this as it is up for review at easter, she said she didn't think they would reduce the hours but she wasn't sure, obviously my reply was that I would fight it if they did. I aslo asked if it would be possible for the teacher to come to the house, the psychologist was dead against this and stated that if we allowed it with maths then he would want to do it with his other subjects, I didn't fully agree with her and she wasn't pleased, but, at the end of the day I just want whats best for my son. In Scotland where we live there is mock prelims comming up after easter, I asked if my son would be able to sit them, sopport for learning teacher said it would have to come for him but she would be happy to arrange for him to sit this on his own and she would be with him, she also asked if he would come into school today to go over his goal's for after easter, she said she would even get an easter cake in, I spoke to him about this when I got home and said I would leave it up to him, this morning he got up and asked me where his uniform was, and he went in and met her, it was only for half an hour, but what an acheivement. Well it's the easter holidays now, thank goodness, and my boy is in his room playing his playstation, his music is blaring and he is singing along, absolute bliss!
For the next 2 weeks I have my boy back.

Thanks again for all the support, and happy easter to everyone.

Take care
Dorothy x