school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
back to school I hope

I am getting particulary worried about tomorrow, first day back after the easter holidays. I have 3 daughters 12,7,3 all beautiful intelligent girls, but my 12 year old has major issues with school. She is in year 8 and regulary refuses to go to school. I moved her to a different school in febuary, the school is a lot more supportive, but she still refuses to go at least once a week. At my wits end, its just so draining and worrying. what future will she have if she has minimal formal education. Help !!!

Re: back to school I hope

Sarah,

I do not know who is more anxious about school re-starting, me or my child!

As someone has said in another message, we have to stay strong!

However, please do not give up hope about her long term prospects. School seems so important now, doesn't it? But there are alternatives - it just takes a little longer.

We have been going through this for 4 years now (is that all? It seems like a lifetime!), and she is still in school aged 18 with prospects of going to a college part time in September, aiming for university the following year. it is a long haul, but we are getting there.

Simon

Hi Sarah,

Please try not to worry too much, like Simon, we've been doing this since Year 7.
My daughter has only attended a quarter of her schooling and didn't go at all in Year 10 but with help from CAMHS and ISS (eventually), she has had a tiny bit of home tutoring over the last year and has managed to get A's and B's in some GCSE modules.
So take heart, our children are bright, they may not take the routes others do but they will definately get there in the end. As I've said before, education doesn't have to be right here and right now.
Our job is to be supportive, because our young ones are confused and probably think they are the only ones feeling like this.
Stick with it Sarah, your daughter will be fine even with minimal formal schooling and you will both get through it eventually, in your own way.

Sue x

thankyou for your kind words. I have a feeling this site is going to be my life line