school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What Reason Can your Child tell others for being off so long ?

When your child does eventually return to school and other kids ask them why have they been off what on earth can your child tell them ?

Obviously they shoudln't say that they were too scared to go to school so what else could they tell them ?

Re: What Reason Can your Child tell others for being off so long ?

Hi,

My son often asks me this question. I usually suggest he says he is often gets ill (in fact true - as he feels ill at the thought of going). This isn't something he always wants to say, however, as then it looks like he is 'sickly' all the time - not an image he wants. But other than saying you felt unwell - there isn't much I can ever think of that helps. Kids who have cronic fatigue syndrome or glandular fever have to say they were ill - so no reason why our kids can't use that excuse as well as in fact it is similar in some ways in that it lasts for such a long time. Sorry - probably there is no one answer that works - just what works for your child.
Linda

My son told his friends he had a virus that kept coming back and he needed alot of time off to buld up his strength so that he could finally shake it for good. His tutor also told the class that my son was not well at the moment and would be returning but not until he was feeling better. This was also the reason for the reduced timetable when he first returned. His class mates just accepted it. This was something that he talked through with his therapist. The therapist also suggested he tell them he has a broken synops (sp) This is the mechanism in your brain that controls your anxiety levels I believe but my son chose the virus route

Hi Daz,

I like Sophy's sons idea. If we had our time again, I think my daughter would have used that one. She hated the constant questions as she never knew what to say. Oddly enough, she was rarely asked but I think thats because the Form Tutor told the class not to bother her with questions when she returned.
I'm sure if Marie used the 'returning virus' answer and had that ready to tell people, it would give her a little more confidence to face others at school.

Well done Sophys' son ..... I like that!

Sue x

Hi Daz

My son said that he just avoids the questions.

Take care
Dorothy x

My son got very worried about what to tell people and he went through this with CAMHS when he returned to school.

On the day he finally went back - Jan 09 ( he did every day Jan - July 09 )he just said he hadn't been well even though most of his friends knew thetruth but they were so pleased to have him back in the footy team they didn't really care. Other people thought he had managed to scive for 12 months and were quite impressed. It is all a one day wonder as the next day they are talking about someone else.

Hope everyone has a good week before the holidays..
Sarah xx

My daughter tells people who matter to her that she has been ill - and those who are not important to her to mind their own business.

She may have low self esteem but she will put on a front when she needs to.

Penny x