school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
meeting

Simon

Well done to your whole family, you have lived this nightmare and came out the other end, I wish your daughter success in everything that she acheives, but mostly I wish her happiness in life, she has had a tough 5 years, I hope she now goes out and lives life to the full. A big thank you to you, you have helped so many people with this site, long may it continue.

We have had a very productive meeting today, we met some one from education who has had experience with children similar to my son, he suggests my son contines his education via the computer at the moment, he will receive school work that he has to complete and return to school for marking, this will be on going, he tried it with another pupil and it worked very well, the person who told us that the one to one tuition would be cancelled if my son failed to go this week was also there, she said after listening to what was said today, she was going back to the authorities to say that the tuition will stay in place until end of term whether my son attends or not, and not to put too much pressure on him, the school have been asked to re apply for this service to start again at begining of next term, they also suggested that the tuition could be held at our local primary school if my son felt that would be easier on him, we talked about that tonight and my son said he would rather not as it was the primary school he had went to and that he had happy memories which he didn't want to spoil. I know we still have a long way to go but we left the meeting so much happier and more positive about the future. We were given his end of year report, which had been filled in by the tutors he had worked with throughout the year, they're comments were very positive, but I always find his reports very upsetting as it reminds me of what he could acheive....................

Thanks to everyone for listening

Take care
Dorothy x

Re: meeting

Hi Dorothy,

Fantastic News! Its so good to hear of a productive meeting, one that actually helps our young ones. I like the idea of schooling/lessons etc via the computer. Well done Dorothy, you've actually made people listen!

How things change ..... last week you were in despair about the tutoring being taken away and now you have the lady going back to her office and extending it instead! Well done.

I'm so pleased for you and your son. Long may it continue.

Take care.

Sue x

Thank you for your kind words, Dorothy. They are much appreciated.

I echo Sue's comments and am pleased things are looking more positive this week.

It is the college interview today, and things are looking difficult....

We shall see. She has done a really good job with her portfolio.

Hi Simon,

My daughter and I were both terrified about the college interviews!

On reflection we need not have worried quite so much, we put too much pressure on ourselves which I guess your daughter is doing now.

My friend is a college lecturer (Business Studies/Accountancy) and she said that the interviews are nothing to be worried about. They are more about the lecturer getting to know the student and to give more of an insight about the specific course. In her college they rarely say no to a student and if they don't get the grades required they usually find them another course within the college.
When my daughter had her Art and Design college interview, although it lasted almost 2 hours, they made things very relaxed as they want to get the best from the student.

I'm sure your daughter will be fine, her portfolio will do a lot of the work for her.

Good luck to you both Simon, hopefully it wont be as bad you are both expecting.

Take care.

Sue x

Hi Dorothy - just trying to catch up on the threads as i've not been about for the past couple of days really - work !! So pleased for you that the meeting went well what a result you just never know what each day will bring. Everytime we have a meeting im determined to get my point of view across but often fail and crumble like a wimp - saying that ive got better with the support of the EWO CAMHS and the GP at the meetings. well done hope you had a large glass of wine !!
Sarah xx