school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thank you and does anyone know what a caf form is?

Thank you everyone for getting back to me so quickly. My son stopped going to school in year 5 . I home taught him in year 6 and than he started his new school in year 7 and everyday was a nightmare. We than asked the school for help. They have suggested filling in a caf form. Does this help? CAMHS was contacted by my doctor and they have spoken to my son. I can ring them when I need too. At present education other than at school are trying sss support but it isnt going as they thought it would. I do have a second meeting next tuesday and alot of poeple are going to be there so my son will not go.

Re: Thank you and does anyone know what a caf form is?

Hi Claire
A CAF is a Commonn Assessment Framework, and believe it outlines everyones resposibilities who are involved - you can see examples on line. You mentioned sss support - what is that ?
Good luck with the meeting - do you think it is a good idea that your sons not there ? In my experience (saying that i haven't cracked it yet ) my son feels better if he is involved, and sometimes he goes out of the meetings if i think its best for a while.

You do what you think is best, please stay in touch

Sar x

Take care

Sarah x

Hi Sarah

At the monment he gets to upset at the thought of going, I do have until Wednesday for him to change his mind.

SSS is supported Steps back to School . Sounds like a caf meeting everyone involved have a meeting and sets out a plan. On wednesday is the second meeting to see if the plan is still on track. By now the education were hoping my sons teaching sessions would be taking place in school. But my son wont even enter the school grounds.

I think I will go ahead with the caf.

Do you know what a AXS Pathway co - ordinator does.

Claire x

Claire

Welcome to the site, my son has his tuition in school but after school hours, at first I would go in and sit in class with him, then he started going in himself, but even now he struggles to get in, he has only been in once in about 8 weeks, but we keep trying.................

Take care
Dorothy x

Hi Claire
If it upsets your son then don't take him - is this because it's at school ? if so can they arrange to have the meeting somewhere else ? Do you have support in meetings as i know Parent Partnership will attend if you need them - they have been very supportive to us.
I have no idea what AXS pathway is.
I am sure you all have googled SR or school phobia and read lots of info - but has anyone come across the West Sussex County Council's huge article on EBSR ( Emotional Based School Refusal ) they sound very sympathetic and have some good ideas and info on it including CAF.

Hope this helps Claire and keep posting.

Luv Sar xx

Hi Claire,

I'm not sure I can be of any help as I've never heard of SSS but we've had help from ISS the Integrated Support Service. They help on a short term basis with home tuition and getting the youngster back to school with the help of CAMHS. The tutors were fantastic and had a lot of empathy with my daughter and certainly brought out the best in her, which is more than I can say for the management.

We were grateful for their help but I found it was a contant battle trying to get them to agree to continue the tuition. It seems to me, on talking to others on this site, that the amount of help you receive depends on which County you live in.

Good Luck and stay strong.

Sue x