school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
high

Hi everyone

Just wanted to let you all know, I'm on such a high tonight, my son went into his computing tuition at school tonight, I'm so proud of him, he is so pleased with himself.

Yet another ride on this rollercoaster....................

Take care
Dorothy x

Re: high

That's fantastic Dorothy,
Well done to both of you.

Penny x

Good news Dorothy!

Well done to you and your son.

We just never know what's around the corner do we?

Sue x

Enjoy the high Dorothy! Well done.
Linda

Fantastic Dorothy well done to both of you, may it continue.

Sorry to put a downer on things, but my son didn't make the school meeting this morning - he had a severe panic attack in the night so we are both shattered. I tried to persuade him but he said he just couldn't do it, this resulted in him getting very upset and fighting with his brother who then announced he wasn't going either !! ( son no. 2 did go in the end ) ohhhhhhhhhhhh. School have said we can try agian tomorrow just for 1/2 hour before school, but did say if he can't make it in before school, no uniform and just for 1/2 hour what chance has he of going back to lessons. In deed what chance. He has just text me to say he won't go to the unit either today, but I think or hope he will change his mind by lunch. Fingers crossed.

Apologies all. Sarah

He got there but couldn't go in he was in a real state, we both are now.

Sarah

Sarah,

sorry things not going well, why don't you forget about school for this term and concentrate on going to unit?

Take care
Dorothy x

Sarah

Hang in there, tomorrow is another day,

Thining about you both

Take care
Dorothy x

Sarah, the fact that he got there (to the unit I presume you mean?) is really quite an achievement after such a panic attack - don't you think? From your close perspective at the moment it probably doesn't feel that way and of course it may not mean another step forward. But both you and your son did very well to get to that point. It is so hard - but I hope you both feel better soon. It sounds like staying at the unit is better at this stage? You have to go with your gut feeling when you feel a bit stronger. Take care -
Linda

Hi Sarah,

I agree with Dorothy, don't try school again this term. Try the unit again..... small steps.

I'm sorry to say it but I'm unsure if you will be able to get your son back to school at all, after reading your recent comments. There really is no point keep putting yourselves through this anymore. Who makes the decision in your area about more hours in the unit? I feel this may be the only option left for you now. Your son wants to return to school but quite clearly he cannot do it.

You mentioned a new teacher/head of year(?) who was a little more helpful at school, could he help your case and back-up your request for more hours at the unit? Surely he can see how difficult it is for your son. Maybe your GP could write to someone to confirm your sons anxiety and the effect it is having on you and the family? I know you probably feel you are going over old ground, but it seems to be the only thing we can do as a parent of a school refuser.

You cannot go on like this, it will pull you down too much and you need to stay strong for your son.

I wish I could help more but you know where I am if you need a chat.

Take care Sarah.

Sue x