school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
School phobia on bbc1 7:40 11th June

Re: School phobia on bbc1 7:40 11th June

Dazza

We have football on BBC1 Scotland???
Are you sure you got the date right?

Simon

my husband recorded this, this morning, it was very good, school took parents to court over refusal, case was overturned, it would be so good to jump on the back of this...........

take care
Dorothy x

Oh! This morning! I was still in bed!

I don't think news items go on iPlayer?

Simon

Please please find out where I can see this as I think i might need it.

Sarah xx please please xx

I can't locate the program as such but as a result of this ruling - there is a lot of publicity currently in the UK regarding this. If you do a google search at the moment under 'School Phobia' there area a few newspaper articles that turn up.
Here is one that might make you all feel there is some support out there for kids who can't go to school (from Ann Newstead)

Home Tutoring Can Help Tackle School Phobia
2009-11-20

This week the BBC reported that a school is being asked to apologise to the family of a boy prosecuted for truancy, after the boy was diagnosed as having “school phobia”. This has raised controversial questions about how schools and parents might best respond to children who refuse to attend school, and increasing numbers of parents are employing home tutors in order to tackle the issue.

Educational Psychologist Nigel Blagg told the BBC that whilst sceptics bracket these children as truants, those who suffer school phobia experience distinct symptoms including extreme anxiety, depression, headaches and nausea. “They are typically well behaved, socially conforming children who do well at school. Normally they come from caring families and are off school with their parents’ consent”.

Blagg advises parents to insist that their children do attend school, and to arrange tutors where possible to help children catch up. However, Ann Newstead of the charity Education Otherwise told the BBC that children suffering from this condition should not be forced to attend school, and commented that home tutoring can help tackle the problem gradually: “home tutoring is a less stressful way of helping children overcome the phobia”.

Found it - got the whole office looking !! The article is on Mail Online, but please be warned there are some replies that aren't very supportive - I think if I reply they won't print it. One said "This is ridiculos, you have to go to shool if you like it or not, parents such as there ( meaning us guys ) indulge thier whinging chidren. It will make your blood boil, i'm so cross that people who know nothing about SR comment.

Rant Rant Rant

Anyway let me know when you've read it.

Cheers

Sar xx

Hi Sarah

Yes I read article which I was very good, then I read the comments, I'm not great on computor which is just as well, I tried to reply but couldn't, but I was absoloutely furious at one particular comment, how dare they.................my husband is going to reply, get the bleep machine out.

Take care
Dorothy x

Dorothy - good for hubby I'll look out for it. It makes me so mad that people who have no idea what it is like, not only for the child but for the family can comment, I only hope they dont have children because if that child needed parental support they wouldn't get it. I was also going through other SR related articles via google and one came up from a teacher saying school phobia wasn't a true phobia and the children were just spoilt and wanted their own way and the parents just give in at the first hurdle ( think that teacher may have been at my sons school LOL !!)
Guys I could rant on for ages its really made me mad.
Just remember our children are good kids, we are good parents and we are all doing our best in very difficult circumstances.

Lets stand united !!

Cheers guys

Sar xx

Hi,

I read the piece and comments with interest.
I just had to leave a comment myself giving our side of things.
I'm not sure if it will be shown but I tried.

Enjoy your weekend everyone.

Sue x

Hi all,

I have just sent a comment too. With comments that have been put up - no wonder we have a battle. No wonder we find that some people in conversation just give us that kind of 'look' and we feel inferior!!
People are generally nice to me about it - but the only parents who seem to really understand are those who have children who suffer from a recognised disability.....we are in that category - but most don't see it that way.
Thanks for pointing out the source of the article.
Linda

Well i think ive calmed down after reading some of those "negative comments" yesterday. Anyway today is another day. Its my youngest son - year 6 school summer fate today and looks like the weather will be kind to us. My SR son loved his time at Primary school where the fate is and he has offered with a couple of his friends to go up in a minute to help set up. Doesn't sound much to most but he really is enthusiastic and it's something he hasnt done before - thats a biggy on its own, but when i asked him what was so appealing he said that he was never seen as stupid there and the head always treats him as an adult ( he has a point ) Lets hope it comes up to his expectations !! and I told its NOT HIM thats stupid.

Good weekend

Sarah xx

I notice that mail online won't let anyone else submit comments now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1285219/Boy-school-phobia-wins-apology-education-chiefs-tried-prosecute-parents.html

Yes Daz we tried but it wouldn't post