school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Obsessive negative or positive thoughts?

I know many of your children are on holidays at the moment - so hoping you are having a good time away from the SR issue!
Unfortunately back here its school time and whilst the days were ticking off well for awhile - on Wednesday - it all suddenly hit again. I'm hoping Monday is back again to normal - but who knows! I also have to find another CB therapist as he has refused to go back as the first one just seemed to start off on the wrong foot and criticise (and our kids are so sensitive...you'd think they'd be different especially in the first meeting!!). I am very annoyed with them and I did meet with them again and explained and they said they would be completely different next time - but too late!
One thing I wanted to ask was if any of your sons/daughters tend to not only have overwhelming negative thoughts re school - but do they also have a tendency to get obsessed with things....often positive - but they take up all the thinking moments until you really wish the conversation could be switched off? I am wondering if my son has these thoughts as a way of blocking out the SR. He is obsessed with football - playing it - reading about it - watching it (which I know some people just are) but there are other things too - and now he is obsessed with 'visiting' (temporarily changed from moving permanently) to the UK. I think he now knows everything there is to visit in the UK - including museums - bookshops - gardens - sites etc. He has looked up and read all guides and studies the maps. It is way over the top and tends to drive me a bit crazy. (we will go on a trip to visit relatives - but not for at least another 8 or more months). So whilst his interest is terrific - its also obsessive. From not wanting to go on holiday - to this desperate attempt to escape into something or away somewhere. From the down hill roller coaster with SR to these obsessive interest in something that just doesn't stop. Is this something any of you have observed or is this just another part of the anxiety issue that my son particularly suffers from? Love to hear from anyone - especially if you have also experienced this and can shed some light on anything that helps spread the focus across lots of things (and this might help with SR too as perhaps the negative thoughts are stuck and far too focused on the one thing ...ie school?).
Linda

Re: Obsessive negative or positive thoughts?

Linda,

Sorry for the delay in replying - I have been on my travels.

I have to say that this is not something I recognise - but it seems logical. An attempt to replace a fear of something with a deep interest in something else.

I am just not sure whether this is something to worry about, or just something that you have to cope with (as if here is not enough already).

I am feeling very travel weary after a delayed flight, so will sign off,

Simon

Re: Obsessive negative or positive thoughts?

Hi Simon,

I think you are right - not necessarily something I need to 'worry' about perhaps. The CB therapist seems to think this is normal for someone suffering from anxiety - as it allows them to avoid negative thoughts. She feels it will probably ease as he finds himself more able to deal with a variety of situations but especially school which is what he is trying to escape from. It might be his age too.
I guess this also allows him to learn about other things whilst missing out on school. It is all educational and there are no negative obsessions being used as an escape - that would be a real worry.
Hope you recover from your weary flight and had a good time.
Linda