school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CAMHS

Many of you mention CAMHS. Is this available to your children at Primary school or just Secondary School? Is the assessment and support via the school psychologist or as a referral from the school? Does your child have to be seeing the school psychologist to come under this program or is it something you can just contact and become a part of? Does this then stop at the Tertiary level or is there any follow up or referrals?
Linda

Re: CAMHS

Hi Linda

Good to hear things are slightly better with you at the moment, I think CAMHS can be involved at any age, our original referral was through our GP and then school psychologist became involved, we have been involved with them for a few years, but educational psychologist has just referred us back ao now waiting for appointment. We have a meeting at school today so please wish us luck everyone.

Take care
Dorothy x

How did the meeting go Dorothy? I do hope it went well.
I think the UK is a step ahead with CAMHS. We seem to have various organisations - not all linked. We have an election today - one side offering a lot of money for mental health. Anyway - all the best
Linda

Hi Linda

It went well thanks, and my son came to the meeting, he was really uptight but he still came, I was so proud of him, every one at the meeting were really impressed, they are going to contine the tuition but at an education centre instead of school, he thought that was a good idea as well, hopefully he will find it easier to attend. athe psychologist couldn't make the meeting but she told me beforehand that, she very much doubted that my son would attend.................how is that for support

Take care
Dorothy x

You must be very proud. Well done to both of you. Surprised the psychologist hadn't given the support - they are the ones who are supposed to be seeing the positive come out of negative, aren't they!? You are lucky that you have the option of the tuition. All the best -
Linda

Hello to you both,

Well school approaches again for us on Thursday. My son will now be in yr 8 and will be going back to the learning centre. If it helps my son is ok about going back to the centre so mood here is very relaxed at the moment (fingers crossed it will stay that way), after complete refusal of yr 7 he finished the last half of the school year at the centre and didn't mind going, they are great there and put him at ease within a few weeks. Our hope is that throughout this school yr he will slowly get re-integrated back to school, both school and the centre know that its the small steps that work well in our situation.

We have had our first assessment with CAMHS, and are due our next one in a couple of weeks, (we were refered through recommendation from our GP and school). There will be three assessments altogether and from this, a plan will be put together on what will be the best way to help our situation.

I think it's going to be a long year with a rollercoaster of emotions, but will try to stay positive and take each day as it comes.

Bye for now, Kirsty xxx