school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Term New Start - Good Luck

Just want to wish everyone all the very best for the new term, be it school or college, not just pupils but parents as well. Linda i know you have different holidays but your son is doing so well so long may it continue. The support i have received from this web site has helped me so much. I contacted Anxiety Action last week - what lovely people and have recommended CBT - they say it is quite a common problem and put me in contact with a local therapist so lets see what that brings, like you all we will try anything.

Going to keep tomorrow as relaxed as possible but the urge to keep asking my son if he will go back is very strong, so need to stop myself.

Sar x

Re: New Term New Start - Good Luck

Sarah

good luck with the start of term, I'll be thinking about you, and to every one else who is venturing to pastures new.

At our last meeting it was decided that one to one tuition would continue but they would do it out with school, my son was at the meeting and agreed to this, it is held a the local education centre, he has attended every class for the last 2 weeks, first day was so hard for him, but he did go in, albeit 30 mins late, but he went, I am so proud of him, it has been a huge acheivement, its only one hour each subject a week, eng math and comp but its a start. His local football team folded at the end of last term, I was so worried as it was a way for him to be 'normal' and play with his friends but, the coach from another team called him and asked him to go for a trial, he went and has now joined that team, how is that for an acheivement! At the moment things are plodding along nicely. Our next big hurdle as a family is, my 18 year old daughter is going to Australia in 3 weeks time, she has decided to take a year out, only consolation is, she is going to stay with my brother, I'm finding it hard to deal with at the moment, but I know it is a great opportunity for her and she will love it....................how different my children are.

Take care
Dorothy x

Well done to your son Dorothy i bet you are over the moon. To be honest i am absolutely terrified about Tuesday as I dont want to spoil it for my youngest starting the school but if his brother refuses i think i will break down. Having nearly 7 weeks of no stress has been wonderful but the butterflies are fluttering to say the least. I know i should stay calm but we all know how hard that is in reality. Good luck to your daughter I remember the days of travelling and having a good time, she will be fine.

Anyway lets keep posting and supporting each other, it certainly helps.

Sar xx

Hang in there Sarah, stay calm!
Try to act normally and maybe your son will too. I know its a hard thing to do but maybe we expect them to fail and they feel it from us, so they fail. It's very hard breaking the cycle, I must admit yesterday was awful, I was more stressed than my daughter! I tried very hard though and we had a relaxing evening after preparing her bag for today. Neither of us slept but .........My daughter had her first day at college today! after 5 years of school phobia and 9 months of home tutoring ..... it went well, she enjoyed it and loved the freedom that college offers, so never give up, things truly will be ok in the end.

Take care.

Sue x

I am so pleased for you both, Sue!

We, too, have had a first day in higher education - art school in our case. It seems to have gone well, but I did have a nervous morning.

It has been a long and exhausting journey to get here, but our children do show, I think, that we can all get through this.

Sue and Simon

I'm delighted, well done to your daughters, and you as well of course, you have both given me hope, thank you

Take care
Dorothy x

Good news Simon!

I'm pleased it went well ..... ours is an Art and Design course as well .... our young one's talents obviously lie on the creative side.

Good luck all.

Sue x

It must have been hard building that art portfolio - a big well done to your daughter

Well done Simon and Sue fantastic news.
Our day hasnt gone so well !!

Sarah x

We had a wobbly start - lots of tears, but I think we have made it.

Gosh! It is good to be able to share these things!

Congratulations Simon, I am so pleased for you.... My son started back at school last Thurs after a term off last year - I was definitely more stressed than him. Went in with a smile, came out with a smile but then had a huge wobble that night. Friday morning he was not good but managed to go in. Came out saying mum I'm fine, stop asking me questions, I'm better for gods sake!! i absolutely felt that I was the one with the issues. This week so far has been good. In fact my daughter started secondary school this morning and we had tears from her and my son spent half an hour telling her it was all in the head and she will be fine once she got there. 'After all, look what I went through last year and now I love school'. I was so proud of him had to walk away so they didn't see the tears. Our children can get better - they just need the right help which I know is easier said than done. I am also convinced they can feel our stress which doesn't help so mums and dads, try and stay calm. I know my family still have a long way to go, it is much easier when the sun is shining but so far so good....

And I am so pleased to hear news, too, Sophy. It is so hard to keep our stress from re-infecting our children. Sometimes they are more resilient than we are.

How is everyone else doing this week?

Simon

Sophy - wonderful news. My son also started senior school today,he was so laid back about it - it was untrue, 4 friends called for him and off they went - just hope and pray he had a good day. With regards to my SR son school have said that unless he goes back this week then they will have to look at alternatives for him and basically remove him from the school - great joy !!
Lets see what tomorow brings.

Sarah xx

Hi Sarah,

Sorry to hear he didn't make it.
Maybe its time to look elsewhere, as Alex says, home education may be the way to go. Do you have to be home with him all the time when they home educate? I've heard there are some online lessons and tutors that can help but unsure where they are.
I thought it was good to hear from Alex and how well he has done. Maybe that's the way to go now.
Good luck, call if you need to chat.

Well done to everyone one else who made it in to school and to others who couldnt quite make it ..... hang in there.

Sue x