school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Not the best day ever

Sadly my daughter had a 'blip' day on her 4th day at college today .... she tried very hard ...... she even got on the train and made it to the college but she couldn't go in. So she just got back on the train and came straight home. She is very annoyed with herself but also unsure if she can go back. I feel it is a step forward as she actually feels annoyed as opposed to feeling nothing but fear, maybe the anger will help her back and not let it defeat her ..... but oh how frightened I feel, I thought we were a long way down the road but as we all know SR can come back and hit you in the face at anytime!
It was all going so well until during the lecture on Tuesday, when it was mentioned that the groups would have to do a 'presentation' on Friday ...... why oh why ..... presentations on an Art and Design Course??? .... sadly it pushed her off the tightrope she was walking.
We will keep trying though.
I was telling a Counsellor where I work and she mentioned this piece she had seen recently in the Mail on Sunday .... interesting.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-1306381/Class-war-Too-scared-school.html

Take care all.

Sue x

Re: Not the best day ever

Oh dear, Sue.

I think that we have to accept that there will be days when our children take a step back. Getting to college was a big step, and then extra pressure just tips the balance.

Does she know anyone who also uses the train? maybe they can go in together?

Thank you for the link to the Daily Mail article. I don't think there is anything new for us there, but it must raise awareness, which is something we need if we are to get a better level of understanding.

Take care,

Simon

Sue

So sorry to hear that your daughter has had a bad day, but she should be so proud of herself for managing to go in the first place, I understand completely how scared and uptight you must be feeling, it brings it home to us how fragile this life is that we lead, don't give up, although I know you never would, tomorrow is another day, you will find the strenght from somewhere to carry on tommorow and to be strong for your daughter.

Take care
Dorothy x

Oh Sue I'm so sorry. Well its Friday and my son hasnt gone in all week so basically in a nut shell he's now out !! oooo scary !! No I'm going to stay positive as I have found a small "charity school" about a minute away from my office who cater for children who do not fit into a school environment. Its new and they have 20 pupils some full some part time. School told me about it and its lovely. Just taken my son to see it and he is quite enthusiastic about it all and hope to start the week after next. They do basic lessons, very informal but concentrate on life skills confidence etc. Watch this space.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Sarah xx