school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
is there a forum or website for Children??

Hi there, just wondering has anyone found a website or forum that children could maybe look up ? like netmums where you can meet similar friends that are going through the same thing. my niece always says nobody understands her and she must feel like everyone is talking about her and feel sooo alone ? or would this make things worse? thanks

Re: is there a forum or website for Children??

Hi Linny,

Simon is your man! He's the lovely man who created this website and he recently started one for children/teens as we felt it may help our youngsters but to be honest, my daughter has never spoken to anyone about this, not even her best friend!
She didn't know why she felt the way she did about school and became very embarressed about it. Funnily enough she would talk to people about school as if she attended every day. She so wanted to be 'normal'.
Now she's at college, she says the 'freedom' is much better and so finds learning at college easier to deal with, rather than in a regimented school environment.
Sadly they do seem to lose friends by not being at school but I think so long as you keep communication going between yourself and your young one, you can't go wrong. Let them know you are on their side, its a scary time for them.
My daughter had a lot of friends 'online' and would chat to them for hours about anything except school. It became her link to the outside world but now she's at college she's making 'real' friends and yours will too.

Take care.

Sue x

Hi Linny
I don't know of any websites for SR children, but my son doesn't use the internet much - he's an X Box fan !! He did for a while text Dorothy's son but not sure if they are still in contact ? Do you know Dorothy ?
My son won't really talk about his problems to anyone except me and CAMHS as he thinks it will just go away.

Simon - is this something you could set up ?

Sar xx

Hello, everyone.

I did set up a chat room as an experiment, but took it back down again. It was not being used. Actually, I am really concerned about setting something like that up because of the risk of abuse.

ChildLine does now have a range of options for children and young people - not just the telephone - but it is not peer to peer.

Scared of School has a forum, but it is not well used: http://scared-of-school.webs.com

I don't know of anywhere else. I think the best bet maybe introductions through contacts made here, and then texting???

Our daughter missed most of last week through illness. Hopefully, back to normal this morning.

Simon

PS Just looked at that again. 'Normal'! Did I really write that? Normal, as in going in to art school? Wow! It is a very long time since that was normal.

Hi Simon - yes not thought of that one, the last thing our children need to "someone having a go at them" as they are vunerable at the best of times.

Well my son had his interview at the new school today, and starts tomorrow ( hopefully ) so please wish us luck ( i know we have been there before !! )but i am going to remain positive and just hope and pray.

I will post tomorrow and let you all know.

Sarah x

Good Luck Sarah and M.

I'll say a prayer for you.

Sue x

Argghh good luck Sarah .. thanks for all your comments, wish you the very best xxx

Thank you for your support. You know i'm not sure who is more anxious !!

Tomorrow could just be the fresh start he needs, but i have just got to remain from keep asking him if is ok and will he go - that is so hard as i need reassurance as well.

Well, nothing more i can do now, so i will sign off and post again tomorrow.

Your support is amazing as always.

Sarah x