school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Very excited that SR is finally getting some press coverage in the US

Hello folks,
Haven't been on the forum for a while - it was nice to have a bit of a break over the summer from the constant stress of my son's school refusal. He is back in school this year but his attendance record is only about 50%. At least that is up from last year.
This week an article showed up on Monday in the Wall Street Journal and last night a piece on our local news. The sooner this becomes a household term, the more leverage I will have with my son's school in getting them to make accommodations. So I am excited to see this.These articles confirm that we are all doing the right thing by continuing the battle, no matter how hard it gets. Here are the links in case you are interested:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703989304575503893436045302.html
and
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/health&id=7686153

Best wishes to everyone this new school year.
Helen

Re: Very excited that SR is finally getting some press coverage in the US

Thank you, Helen for drawing these to our attention.

I am not sure that I agree with all that Andrea Petersen says, but it is good to get some exposure of the condition.

I have put a link to the video in the Blog.

Simon

Re: Very excited that SR is finally getting some press coverage in the US

I agree with you, Simon, that not everything she says is true to our experience with this. But I am just happy to have some ammunition. I sent the link to a good friend whose only advice had been "Why don't you just MAKE him go?" (Don't you just love when people advise you who haven't got a clue????) He totally changed his tune after reading the article.