school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Such a Tranformation

Hi There,

Well it's been a whole year since SR hit our houshold. It has been a tough year of tantrums, hiding under duvets and refusing to talk to anyone. At the moment we are on a high, our son has returned to yr8 to the learning centre for 5 morning sessions a week. It was tough getting him there but now he takes the taxi there and back quite happily and we can see his confidence growing back. He has even decided return to his secondary school for drumming lessons once a week, the start we needed to get him back through the door. We have a meeting with the school and other workers helping us come through this and for the first time our son has said he would like to come along too. Whether he does or not I don't know but it is a positive start.

We have had two sessions now with our CAMHs worker, they have been great, going right back to his behaviour to when he was a baby to see if there were any links. He has made a good relationship with our son, so much so that he is willing to talk on a one to one session!!!!

Thinking back to what he is like now to then we have come a long way, we definately know that small slow steps are working for us and we must remain positive. I know it can only take one small thing to bring us back to square one but for now i am keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for listening
Kirsty

Re: Such a Tranformation

well done to you both, and keep up the good work.

Sarah x

Re: Such a Tranformation

Hi Kirsty,

Its so refreshing to hear things are going well. I'm really pleased for you both, long may it continue!

Take care.

Sue x