school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Home Tuition for groups

Hi, i have posted a few times about my niece who is very anxious and hardly goes to school. She is just starting her GCSE's under CAMHS and welfare and now doctors just put her on anti-depressants !!!! she can go into school 10-12 and sit in the library and has at last found someone she can talk to which is the school nurse but out of school grounds. It started when she was at junior school something happened and crushed her confidence, i think it was her best friends being cruel etc but she wont say and now this best friend has moved to the same grammar school and some classes and ganged up on her with another "new" friend so its got worse. but i wondered if there were home tuitions groups that could be set up locally as there seems to be quite a large pocket or school refusers, so they could at least these teens get some sort of social school type scenario going on, in a smaller scale ...... as isolation is the worst thing and can make them feel "a misfit!" and lonely ?? thank you !

Re: Home Tuition for groups

Hi Linda,

Others on here might have more information than I have located over time but there seems to be a few contacts for home ed in the UK. The site below lists local groups so it might be worth getting in touch with them and seeing what you can find.
I don't know how it works in the UK but your local council might also have a contact for a nearby group.
http://home-ed.info/local_groups.html

Good luck -
Linda